The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 1-7-2012.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 1-7-2012.

Post by asbibby »

I called in on Saturday to have a shufty at the incoming excursion train consisting of two class 66's a Mk1 Kitchen car, two Mk11 carriages and nine Mk1 carriages. The train was so long the first class 66 was under the north tunnel whilst the other 66 was at the bottom end of platform three.
The ELR trains seemed to be quite full with everyone having a good time despite the rotten weather, wind, rain, hailstones and a bit of donner und blitzen thrown in.

I had a chat with Jonathan who came in to do more work on the carriage plug refurbishment program, stripping and drilling out the seized up retaining screws.

On Sunday we nearly had a full crew, consisting of Simon the full time ELR electrician, myself, John, Jonathan, Chris and Clive. Len was not with us, he is still looking after his wife after a recent operation.

Myself and Jonathan tested out the fire alarm call points as usual in BBS and The Trackside, everything was fine and we recorded the findings.

Simon gave us some training on the portable appliance tester (PAT) which tests and records the integrity of the portable appliances being tested.
We will be going round all the ELR buildings/worshops etc. that contain portable electrical tools in the coming weeks, to comply with our insurer's instructions.
We started off testing all our own appliances first that we keep in our own workshop, labels will be put on all the appliances with the dates when tested.

John and myself made good all the leads on a rod welder that had been left in our workshop quite some time ago, all new cable lugs were fitted to both ends of the cables, a new plug wired onto the mains cable.
The inside of the welder was then stripped, cleaned and the minimum and maximum current device serviced.
The unit was then PAT tested satisfactory.

Clive meanwhile had been finishing off wiring the power supply unit that was required for the remote switching of Summerseat Station lights, with all the tools and special drill and long masonry drill, we set off after lunch to Summerseat Station.
The power supply unit was affixed to the inside of the electrical cubicle and the telecomms pair wired into the unit, then we attempted to drll through the brick walls of the electrical cubicle.
On getting about two thirds of the way through the brickwork the drill became stuck, the electric drill would not grip the drill piece properly and the drill bit appeared to held by something very strong in the brickwork.
Back next week to finish of this particular task with a bigger drill!

A well earned brew was then taken before Clive and Chris decided to have a ride up to Heywood in the vastly improved weather, the sun actually showing it's face.

That was it for another week in the electrical department, more to follow next week!
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Wizzo

Post by Wizzo »

We would agree with the donner und blitzen weather on P Way :( Wet,dry,wet,mini sun,wet again,humid,sweating,coat off,rain again,coat on,sweating again. :(

Bret
dave roderick

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 1-7-2012.

Post by dave roderick »

asbibby wrote:a bit of donner und blitzen thrown in.
After all the fuss over the War Weekend, are you allowed to say that on this forum. I hope nobody from the Daily Mail reads this. :lol:
blackpool hoolie

Post by blackpool hoolie »

What's wrong with mentioning two of Santa's reindeer??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave.
alt

Post by alt »

blackpool hoolie wrote:What's wrong with mentioning two of Santa's reindeer??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave.

Careful Dave ..... don't give them any more ideas or else the Daily Flail will be wanting to ban Santa Specials next!!! :roll: