The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 27-11-2011.

asbibby

The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 27-11-2011.

Post by asbibby »

Jonathan was present on Saturday repairing some Christmas lights which had been damaged last Sunday.

On Sunday Jonathan, John Clive and myself met in the workshop, Len had called me on Saturday to say he was feeling unwell, so he would not be here on Sunday, get well soon Len.

First job as usual was for Jonathan and myself to test out the fire alarm call points in The Trackside and BBS, all went OK and the findings were recorded.

Simon the full time ELR electrician called into the workshop to see us, he needed some assistance down at the Standard Four shed, the job was to fit a photo cell controlling two lights on the corner of the shed.
Clive and Jonathan volunteered to help Simon on this task, whilst John and myself tested and repaired two electrical heaters from Townsend Fold signal box. John and myself drove up to Townsend fold in my car to deliver the two heaters and to see if we could fix a leak on the hot water boiler.

On arriving at Townsend Fold the heaters were given to the signal box bobby and John and I checked out the leak on the hot water boiler, this turned out to be a non standard O ring fitted in the flexible water pipe, we tried PTFE tape around the threads and the O ring with little success.
The water was locked off and the flexible water pipe dissconnected, we made our way to Rawtenstall to see if a DIY store was there, but to no avail.
On our way back to BBS we called in at BQ in Bury and obtained a pack of the correct fibre water pipe washers.

Lunch was then taken in the workshop and the new fibre washers fitted in the flexible water pipe, this will be fitted next week in Townsend Fold box.

John and I then went to see Clive and Jonathan up at the Standard Four shed and there we met up with Simon and Malcolm Vickers who asked us to check out the lighting at Heywood Station.
We all caught the Bubble car up to Heywood Station, covered up the photo cell on the roof wiith Clive's cap to enable the car park lights along with the platform lights to be switched on.
One car park light was out and three platform lights were out, plus two bulkhead lights on the path up to the booking office.
These will be replaced next week as we need some more spare bulbs ordering and we will also need our mobile tower scaffold.
We then caught the same Bubble car back to our workshop for a final brew.

On getting back in the car which was parked in Castlecroft Yard I noticed three of the Victorian lights adjacent to the museum were not working, another job for next week.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Phil B AKA Q1
Location: In a Signalbox, under a Land Rover or in front of a monitor.

Post by Phil B AKA Q1 »

Alan,

Many thanks to you and your colleagues for sorting out the fan heaters for Townsend Fold Signal Box. I know at least one signalman who will be very happy about the repairs!

I am sure the 'A' men will also be delighted to have a leak free water heater next weekend. I know I will appreciate it when I am next rostered there.

So thanks again. :D :D :D
Phil,

ALWAYS look on the Bright Side & Keep Smiling!

Post by 4472 »

Thank you to the fiolk we can trust to get a good job finished.

I have suggested other ways that men on the box keep warm via kindling & logs but I need to discuss further with the 'Boss Man' on this.

Blimey Phil, you mean now that you have found the outer reaches of the Rossendale Valley and realise that the trains do go past Ramsbottom, that you want to go and do it all again?