The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-3-2015.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-3-2015.

Post by asbibby »

:shock: Just the three of us in today, Jonathan, Clive and myself, we were joined by Simon the full time electrician who gave us a rundown on the new computerised PAT tester.

Jonathan set about PAT testing all of the electrical tools and portable lights, soldering irons, kettle etc.
The old kettle was binned as the earth connection was deemed to be insufficient, a replacement was sourced from our spares cupboard.
Now we have a decent PAT tester we will be appearing around the railway workshops PAT testing the electrical tools etc.

A portable light was also failed due to faulty wiring, this was stripped and rewired, then PAT tested satisfactorily.

Clive had brought in the three spare electronic starter units that we needed, one was for the third ex Nuneaton station lamp head and the other two are to replace two faulty fluorescent units in the carriage & wagon workshop.

Clive drilled the holes to accommodate the new starter unit and ancillary components and completed wiring up the lamp unit, ready for testing.

We all walked up to Baron Street works as Clive was due a medical in Tate Towers, Jonathan and myself walked to the carriage sidings to recover the RCH carriage plugs from the three green two plus one carriages.
We only managed to recover six as one carriage had no RCH plug leads and one of the other had two missing also, the carriages should have four RCH plug leads.

We then made our way back to our workshop via the carriage & wagon shed to pick up from the electrical store some used five foot fluorescent tubes for testing and future use. These are the tubes which we recovered from the carriage & wagon lighting retube.

We had some lunch and then started to strip the RCH plugs we had recovered earlier on, all the old paint was stripped off, the brass nuts unscrewed and the old leads cut off.

Next week we will have to drill out the brass screws has they all have broken screw heads, before we can re-tap them and fit new screws.

The spare tubes were all cleaned and boxed ready for testing later in the month.

We had one final brew and a Jam do-nut each before cleaning the workshop and setting off for home. 8)
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
keepchuffin2012

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-3-2015.

Post by keepchuffin2012 »

Ah good-o, the new PAT tester is now `in steam` then. See you next Sunday (29th) in the hope that the boiler I left has passed. Will remember my password c-a-k-e.
Keep Chuffin, Keith. Duty Station Master.