The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 03-2-2013.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 03-2-2013.

Post by asbibby »

:D Jonathan gave today's job a big boost by coming in on Saturday to rub down, rewire and paint three of the BBS canopy light fittings which we had taken down last Sunday.

The team for Sunday comprised of Jonathan, John, Clive, Len, Chris and myself, Simon was also in doing some work down in the carriage & wagon workshop. :roll:

Len & Jonathan went off to do the usual tests on the fire alarm call points in BBS & The Trackside pub/cafe all was well and the recordings logged.

A cast iron electrical cover plate from one of the lamps outside the Museum was put back together using araldite after it was broken by someone who drove into it, smashing the cover into three pieces. Please be careful anyone parking alongside the museum and don't smash any more of the electrical cover plates.
A brew was then taken before starting work along with some fruit tarts which Chris had brought in for us to sample.

The canopy light fitting covers were then reassembled after Jonathan had left them to dry upstairs after painting them the previous day.
We loaded up our mobile tower scaffold and moved it to platform three/four to enable us take down and replace three more of the canopy light fittings on platform three/four at BBS.
Three fittings were removed and replaced with refurbished ones and this took us up nicely to lunch time, Clive then wired a disconnection plug and socket in one of the light fittings we had previously changed.
The scaffold along with the three fittings we had removed were then taken back to our workshop for some fettling.

After lunch some more fruit tarts and some yummy Colombian coffee/chocolate cake topped with walnuts we set to stripping the three units we had taken down.
One of the units had some water in the innards from being exposed to the elements during the canopy refurbishment programme, this was dried out after failing an electrical test. The rest of the light fittings were all cleaned and rewired with plug and sockets before all being electrically tested again.
The metal covers of the light fittings were all rubbed down ready for Jonathan who volunteered to come in again next Saturday to repaint the metalwork.

With all the work completed we had another brew and finished off the coffee/chocolate cake, before tidying up the workshop and going home. :)
Last edited by asbibby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Union Pacific

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 03-2-2013.

Post by Union Pacific »

You are going to need to widen the door to your cubby hole with all these cakes and tarts you keep scoffing.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
mouldyjamontoast
Site Admin

Post by mouldyjamontoast »

Considerably easier than widening the door to the landie! :P
Alex King

ELR Guard, Guards Manager and Forum Admin
Member of Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk
Wizzo

Post by Wizzo »

The bin truck failed in it's attempt to widen the Landie door :wink:

The Electrical lot are rapidly taking the crown for cake consumption from us on P Way :wink: :D :D

Bret.
Deaks

Post by Deaks »

Wizzo wrote:The bin truck failed in it's attempt to widen the Landie door :wink:

The Electrical lot are rapidly taking the crown for cake consumption from us on P Way :wink: :D :D

Bret.
Mrs D has forgiven me for attending two weeks on the trot, and has indicated she will help to redress the balance back in our favour. Any requests for cakes suitable for the discerning PWay palate? :)
Deaks

Support Ash Die-back. Cut down more trees.
marflow

Post by marflow »

I knew that this tart and cake eating would ellicit a response. I want it recorded that I'm not the sweet tooth around here! And if it's any consolation to the greedy onlooker, many of the cakes are gluten-free and hence tend to also be taste-free!

I thought it may be nice to start a special EV dictionary

tootle: the act of waddling off home after eating cakes and pies
fettle: to fix, repair or mend
cake: nourishment to be scoffed by sweet-toothed volunteers

feel free to add your words to the list!
(the caps on this pc are a bit of a struggle since my meerkat ate the lh shift; key so pls excuse punctuation)
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere