The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-12-2012.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-12-2012.

Post by asbibby »

Jonathan had earlier sent in an E mail to say he would not be at the railway on Sunday, and Len was having a day off as well pending a hospital visit.

I was joined by Clive, John and Chris and after having a brew and some cakes which i had brought in, we planned our work for the day.
Clive had received a call from Simon after it had been reported that the Station lights at Summerseat Station were playing up again, i.e. not coming on at the appropriate time. Clive and John caught the Santa train and alighted at Summerseat Station to investigate the problem, for some inexplicable reason the electronic programmable timer was one day and two hours out of sequence. This was corrected to the right program and we will have to keep an eye on the situation.

Meanwhile the General Manager Andy Morris called into the workshop to ask us to check the incoming Santa train to Bury Bolton Street Station, as it had been reported that one of the carriages had no lights when the guard switched the lights on whilst traveling through the tunnels.
The Train Manager was contacted to find out which carriage had the faulty lights and he was asked to telephone the signal man in Bury South to inform him we were going trackside to check the lighting fuses.
No fuse box was found on that side so we went round to the platform side to see if we could access the fuse box there, the box was found and all the fuses checked with our multimeter, all were sound. The guard was then asked to use the carriage manual switch to see if that would turn the lights on, success the lights illuminated. The problem could have been that it is a lazy solenoid under the carriage and the button that the guard presses in the guards van needed to be held in a bit longer.

Clive and John had returned from Summerseat after sorting out the lighting problem, John went to help out with the car parking at Bury Bolton Street, after which lunch was taken. John had brought in a Christmas cake for us all to share, washed down with copious amounts of tea.

Jonathan had previously done a great deal of work on recovered carriage plugs, they had been stripped down, all the old paint removed, seized up screws drilled out, repainted the carriage plug shells, cleaned all the copper pins and soldered the new cable onto the copper pins.
We then set to re-assembling all the components that make up the carriage plugs, then applying two sizes of heat shrink sleeving to prevent water ingress. The final job was to test the carriage plug leads for correct continuity.

That was it for another day after scoffing more Christmas cake, washed down with more tea.

A happy Christmas to everyone who visits and helps out on the railway, onwards and upwards.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Union Pacific

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-12-2012.

Post by Union Pacific »

You seem to scoff more cakes in a day than p-way department do in a month.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
marflow

Post by marflow »

I don't know but Alan always seems to include everybody in any scoffing activity (the singular shall be construed to include the plural sort of story). Nout could be further from the truth. He's the greedy one!!
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

marflow wrote:I don't know but Alan always seems to include everybody in any scoffing activity (the singular shall be construed to include the plural sort of story). Nout could be further from the truth. He's the greedy one!!
What can I say, I was hungry after expelling all that energy on the railway.
That Christmas cake John brought in was yummy, I have saved some for later!
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.