ELECTRICAL VOLUNTEERS REPORT 2nd DECEMBER 2012

JONATHAN-BARNES

ELECTRICAL VOLUNTEERS REPORT 2nd DECEMBER 2012

Post by JONATHAN-BARNES »

I came in on Saturday and did some more refurbishment work on the light fittings for platform 3 & 4.

On Sunday there was me, John, Chris, Clive and Len. We had erected the Rawtenstall Christmas lights about two weeks ago just outside of the carriage cafe. Since we have never had lights at Rawtenstall before, there was no convenient socket to plug them into.

We loaded the tool and some flexible cable into the guard’s van and went to Rawtenstall on the Santa train.

The power supply end of the string of lights had already been shoved through a ventilator hole on the roof of the carriage into the kitchen, where the distribution board is. We used some end-to-end crimps to joint another length of flex to this. The other end of the flex we shoved through a gap in the back door and under the carriage. A 16 amp plug was fixed onto the end of this. A second length of flex was shoved through the gap in the door and under the carriage. A 16 amp socket was fixed onto the outside end of this. The inside end was connected to a 20 amp RCD protected circuit breaker in the distribution board.

Since the cafe will be closed for Christmas, the station master will be able to control the lights by using the plug and socket under the coach.

For next Christmas we hope to install a permanent socket on the end of the carriage. This can be controlled by a time switch. That’s a job for some other day.
asbibby

Re: ELECTRICAL VOLUNTEERS REPORT 2nd DECEMBER 2012

Post by asbibby »

Well done Jonathan and the rest of the electrical volunteer, Len, John, Clive, Jonathan and Chris from Alan in the sunny Canary Islands.
lanzarote at this moment in time on a free Wi-Fi in a waterfront Bodega, we are off to Agadir, (Morrocco) tonight then the last stop is Lisbon.
At least all the Christmas lights are now insitu, i will see you all a week next Sunday.

T.T.F.N. Alan.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.