The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 20-5-2012.

asbibby

The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 20-5-2012.

Post by asbibby »

I was absent last week recovering from a rally our motor club had organised last Saturday 12-5-2012, it was hard work but back in today to meet our new recruit to the Sunday gang, Chris from Middleton.

We were joined by Jonathan who came in again on Saturday to do some electrical work and was collared by Margaret the Station Master of BBS to see if he could have a look at a convector heater that had ceased to work.

John and Len then joined us along with Simon the full time electrician, we checked out the old Tardis convector heater and decided it was better to scrap it as it was way past it's sell by date, we replaced it with a more modern heater which was checked out before Jonathan and Len installed it in the Tardis on platform three/four.

Simon had earlier taken me across to BTM to show us were he wanted some light fittings installing under the staging in BTM.

It had been reported that most of the BBS north tunnel walkway lights were not illuminated, we first of all took the cover off one of the duff units to check what kind of bulbs were used, they turned out to be square type energy savers, on checking our stock four were found and we managed to get three of the duff ones working again after changing the bulbs.
One of the fittings would not unscrew but at least there are now four out of six working. We will replace all of the worn out fittings on a non working day of the railway in the Summer with some refurbished superior light fittings.
Lunch was then taken with a brew.

After lunch we took across to the Museum six lengths of conduit, a bag of conduit fittings, six light fittings, tubes and some assorted wood screws.
Simon had already transported to the Museum the conduit pipe vice and dies for us to use in fitting the conduit.
We extended the conduit from the first available existing light fitting, fixed the new fitting above the hydraulic pump that is used to raise the bridges over the track in the museum, this now illuminates the area of the hydraulic pump and it's operating control gear for maintenance purposes.

We will do the other side of the Museum next week, there is the same hydraulic pump system fitted there, we will then move on to installing light fittings and mains sockets in the attic space above the education room in the Museum.

I will be away for the next two Sundays so hopefully this job will be completed when I get back!
That was it for another Sunday in the the Electrical Volunteers Department.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.