The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 1-8-2010.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 1-8-2010.

Post by asbibby »

I just got discharged from Christies Hospital in Manchester last Saturday and spoke to Len Allen when we arranged that Len would ring me on Monday to let me know what had been done electrical wise over the weekend.
Jonathan came in to the workshop on Saturday to continue with the stripping down of carriage plugs, once stripped down of the old wiring and copper plugs, the aluminium cases have then got to be taken back to bear metal, scraping off decades of paint and grunge takes some time, if only we had a shot blaster!

On Sunday Jonathan was joined by Len, Clive and John, the first task was to test the fire alarm call points at BBS and The Trackside, this accomplished and recorded the first train up to Rawtenstall was caught to fit a gifted hot water boiler in the signal box at Townsend Fold, the one previously fitted from Shaw had failed with a burnt out element. The replacement boiler could not be fitted this time as the water connections were slightly different from the original boiler, the crew will bring up next week a range of water fittings to enable the job to be completed.

When we came up to Townsend Fold a few weeks back two of the outside lights fitted to the top of the box were not working, seeing that a ladder was needed to gain access to find out what was wrong the men had the foresight to bring up our extension ladder to gain access.
The two light bulbs fitted were both old 100w tungstem bulbs which had failed, these were replaced by 40w energy saving bulbs which I had previously bought from Morrisons for 5p each when they were subsidised by British Gas what a bargain for the railway!

The crew then retreated back to the workshop at BBS for lunch and a brew, meanwhile Roger from the 26B shop had been over to the crew to ask them to test three Burco water boilers which would be needed for next weekend,s Family Fun Day, presumably someone is going to be making a few brews, or doing a lot of washing up!

Jonathan had set about the task of scraping more paint and grunge from some more carriage plugs, this seems like a never ending job, but it is an essential job to refurbish eventually all the carriage plugs to enable the guard on the train to control the switching on and off of the carriage lights.

I an still trying to work out our to upload before and after photo's I have taken of the carriage plugs, they are on my facebook page but I have not yet worked out out to get them on the forum yet.

Another busy weekend for the electrical volunteers.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Wizzo

Post by Wizzo »

Hope you are feeling better soon. Keep up the reports,I enjoy reading them.
deltic22

Post by deltic22 »

thanks for the report hope you get better soon pal, keep up the good work!
P/Way sat gang and a Mean Rock Lead Guitarist (Oh and Drummer too!)
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

Thanks for your good wishes fellows, I visit Christies again a week next Thursday, if all goes well I should be able to drive again after another couple of weeks, then back at the Railway in September.
Len Allen will pass on the information to me as to what is happening electrical wise, so that I can carry on with the reports.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.