The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 20-3-2016.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 20-3-2016.

Post by asbibby »

8) A full team of electrical volunteers turned up today along with Simon the full time ELR electrician and his new apprentice Lewis, the volunteers consisted of Clive, Len, Jonathan, John and myself.

Jonathan and Len went off to do the usual fire alarm call point checks in the Trackside and BBS Concourse, a fault was found on one of the call points in the Trackside, this was removed, the fault remedied and tested again.
The results were recorded in the log books.

Keith the BBS Station Master had kindly brought us a jam roll for us to share after reading our blog from last week in which we suffered a lack of cake. We found out that Keith had an ulterior motive after he asked us to have a look at the wall heater in the Tardis which had ceased to work.
The wall heater was removed so that we could strip the heater in our workshop, the fault turned out to be a thermal fuse which had blown.
We had no thermal fuses so the heater was put back together and tested, utilising just one half of the heater element till we can obtain a spare thermal fuse.
The heater was then reinstalled in the Tardis in working order, better half the heat than no heat at all.

Clive had brought in the speedo head off 80097, which he had spent quite some time on to ensure that the moving coil mechanism was as free as possible, he had also fitted a new needle to the speedo head.

John had also sourced two new bearings at a great saving from one of his suppliers, these are for the spindle in the speedo generator off 80097.
Clive rewired the wires from the back of the speedo head after the unit had a thorough cleaning.

We took advantage of the beautiful weather and had our lunch break outside for the first time this year, very pleasant it was too, John had brought in an ASDA special sponge cake which soon disappeared. :shock:

It was then back to the Bury Standard Four workshop to see if we could free off the other wiring connection part of the speedo head, this took some doing as it went together not as you would expect so trying to dismantle the rusted brass and steel parts was a nightmare!
The brass bit was sawn off the using the pillar drill and some expertise from Phil on the drill and John extricating the rest of the bits of metal using a screwdriver and hammer, eventually all the bits were freed.

The workshop was given a tidy up and new stock was moved upstairs to give us a bit more room in the workshop, one final brew and a final piece of jam roll cake and we called it a day.

Will we be back next Easter weekend, probably! 8)
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Wizzo

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 20-3-2016.

Post by Wizzo »

Seeing as how the heater was only half working when you returned it to the Tardis I hope you returned half the jam roll, or was it too late ?

Bret.
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

:oops: Too late Jimmy!

Is there only me and you posting on this forum, what as happened to it?
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Wizzo

Post by Wizzo »

I would have guessed that to be the case ! Now P Way would have returned half the jam roll --- honest !!

I don't know what has happened to the Forum either. ! You are right, if we stopped posting ,they might as well shut it down. I guess people prefer telling each other what they had for breakfast on Facebook and the like !!!!

Bret.
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

Wizzo wrote:I would have guessed that to be the case ! Now P Way would have returned half the jam roll --- honest !!

I don't know what has happened to the Forum either. ! You are right, if we stopped posting ,they might as well shut it down. I guess people prefer telling each other what they had for breakfast on Facebook and the like !!!!

Bret.

I can vouch for what Bret says about P-way returning half the jam roll, but we would have licked the jam off first. :shock: :shock:
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
Bolton Loco

Post by Bolton Loco »

I have noticed a big drop off in replies to all topics over the last few weeks, but I expect it to pick up again later.
I have seen this happen many times on other sites, then there is a flurry of replies to all topics, everyone seems to run out of ideas at the same time.
I come on here due to having worked "on loan to Bury shed in the 60s so I have some knowledge of the area and I enjoy reading about all the maintenance as most of my working life was involved in some form or other with maintenance. PPM somewhere (Planned Preventative Maintenance) Can't remember now if that was UK or NZ based.
Syd