The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 01-2-2015.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 01-2-2015.

Post by asbibby »

:D A full team of electrical volunteers turned out today on a very cold Sunday morning, i had to arm myself with a load of tissues, it makes ones nose drip like a proverbial tap.

Clive, Jonathan, John, Len and myself met up and first things first we had a brew and warmed ourselves up prior to Jonathan and Len leaving the warmth of the workshop and testing out the fire alarm call points in BBS concourse and The Trackside pub/cafe.
All worked satisfactory and the results recorded in the log books.

The back of the workshop had become increasingly congested with scraps of cable and other assorted items which we managed to relocate to were we could see exactly what we have.
The cable was put outside the workshop for disposal to the scrap-man, hopefully the ELR will receive some payment for said items.

This took up most of the morning, then Clive and Jonathan caught the train up to Rawtenstall to check on the station clocks and outside canopy lighting.

The rest of us, Len, John and myself made ourselves busy recovering and stripping down more carriage plugs and leads, this involves first soaking them in releasing fluid for three weeks, then drilling out the retaining screws before finally scraping off years of grunge from the plug casings.
The three recovered plugs were dunked in the releasing fluid to enable us to completely strip them in the future.

Lunch was then taken with another warming brew, before carrying on with the carriage plug work.
We finished off crimping new connectors and putting on heat shrink tubing on three of carriage plug/leads we had refurbished earlier on.
Six new lengths of cable were measured and cut to size, the ends stripped and soldered ready for reassembling next week.

Finally we gave the workshop a brush up removing the grunge from the carriage plug shells which had been deposited on the floor.

Back next Sunday, don't let the parking attendants get you on Bury Bolton Street car park, who will be the first to fall foul of them and be issued with a PCN?
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.