The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 31-8-2014.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 31-8-2014.

Post by asbibby »

:) Jonathan came in on Saturday to strip down some old carriage plugs and leads which we had recovered for refurbishment last week. Four MK1 plug leads were stripped, the old screws drilled out and the the cases left to soak in penetrating oil for a few weeks.
Then Jonathan cleaned up with contact cleaner three MK2 rubber plug leads, ready for refitting by the C & W staff.

On Sunday i was joined by Jonathan, Clive, Len and John, the weather promised to behave itself today, so after a brew we decided to reinstate the two faulty fluorescent light fittings in the carriage & wagon works.

Jonathan and Len went off to do the usual fire alarm call point checks in the Trackside and BBS concourse, during testing the call point in the gents toilet on platform two, they found that tiling had taken place and that the call point could not be tested.
This was because the call point was a flush fitting type and now that the toilet has been tiled we could not get at the testing facility of the call point, Len and Jonathan solved the problem by fitting a surface mounted unit on top of the flush mounted unit.
The unit was then tested, satisfactorily, and all the results logged.

Clive had ordered last week some spare parts for us to use, two replacement electronic units for the C & W fittings which had faulty units and some M6 round crimps for us to use on the new cabling for the refurbished carriage plug leads.

The two fittings had their two new electronic units wired up and bench tested before we made our way down to the C & W.

We also finished off fitting crimps to some carriage plug leads that we would also need down at the C & W, armed with a good selection of tools, the repaired light fittings and some carriage plug leads we made our way to C & W.
We also took a few plastic carrier bags to collect some blackberries we had spotted last week.

Clive, John and Len got on with replacing the two light fittings whilst Jonathan and myself replaced one carriage plug and fitted new restraining chains to the carriages in carriage siding two.

Lunch was the taken by us all in the sunshine outside of our workshop, washed down by copious amounts of Tetley's finest taken with some of Mr. Kiplings finest cakes.

Clive, John and Len had to take a early dart, that left Jonathan and myself to finish off fitting new restraining chains to the carriages in carriage siding two.

Next week, weather permitting we should be back at Ramsbottom Station fitting and wiring up new lights for the waiting shelter on platform two.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
marflow

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 31-8-2014.

Post by marflow »

It's a good job that blackberry juice doesn't interfere with fluorescent lights.

Does anybody have any ideas for the Halloween cauldron? I'm damned if I can get the silk to flutter properly!

Ideas on a virtual postcard please!
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere