The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-2014.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-2014.

Post by asbibby »

:) On Saturday Jonathan came in to rub down and repaint one of the station lamp heads which we had removed from Ramsbottom station. The lamp head had been previously stripped down to find out were the water ingress had been.

More work had been done on the carriage plug copper pins which have been soaking in vinegar for the past few weeks, Jonathan had cleaned up the pins ready for soldering onto new cable.

:o I was late on Sunday the Gala day and on arriving the rest of the team consisting of Jonathan, Len and Clive had left before i got there, they had caught the train up to Ramsbottom to check out some station lamp heads, on their way back they got off the train at Summerseat station to replace a perspex bowl on one of the station lamp heads which had been knocked off by some of the local vandals. The globe had been recovered previously by one of the gardeners and returned to our workshop in BBS.
Whilst the team were at Summerseat station they did a lamp check and found out that the lights would not come on, the fault was traced to the electronics controlling the remote switching of the lights from Ramsbottom signal box.
The fault turned out to be a blown diode, the problem will need further investigation, so no remote switching at present.

Clive had ordered the previous week some electrical spares, solder and heat shrink tubing, so that one of the canopy lights from Ramsbottom station could be repaired, a new electronic ballast unit was fitted and tested. The unit will be painted and cleaned next Saturday by Jonathan and probably reinstalled next Sunday utilising our tower scaffold.
The heat shrink and solder are needed for the carriage plug refurbishment program.

I finished off testing eight newly refurbished carriage plug leads by fitting two lots of heat shrink tubing to stop water getting into the plugs. I delivered them to the carriage and wagon shed for fitting on the restored carriages.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
marflow

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-2014.

Post by marflow »

Sst lights are now working again remotely from the Rammy signal box but we need to investigate the reason for diode failure. At the same time we may be able to modify the gubbins to give a positive indication at the s/b that the lights are actually on at Sst.
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere