The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 19-1-2014.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 19-1-2014.

Post by asbibby »

:D Jonathan was in again on the Saturday doing his thing with the carriage plug refurbishment program, he said there was plenty people in and around Bury Bolton street station on the first day of the winter gala.

On Sunday it was Jonathan, Clive myself and John, Len was conspicuous by his absence!

We had a swift brew before doing the usual fire alarm call point checks, Jonathan and Clive went off to do the tests and logging the results.
John and myself went to the Carriage & Wagon shed to drop off some empty tins for the use of the C&W staff, we could see that someone had been busy painting in black gloss the carriage plug end caps etc.

Clive and Jonathan got to grips with an old station gas light fitting which had been brought into our workshop to be converted to electric usage, a Edison screw fitting was wired up, a bulb fitted and hey presto, many hands make light work!

On the way back to our workshop we called in at Bury South signal box to have a look at the electrical hot water heater which had previously had a new water valve fitted. Simon the ELR electrician must have ordered and fitted a new element to the water heater as it was now working, but the plastic knob that turns the heater on and off had been turned off a bit too hard as it had broken the internals of the plastic knob, it is turned gently to the left to turn the water heater on and then to the right gently to turn it off.
Don't force the plastic knob or it will break, water drips out of the spout but it will eventually stop.
The broken plastic knob and it's internals were taken back to our workshop to have some epoxy resin therapy, we will allow it to set, before being refitted later in the day. :roll:

Lunch was then taken before obtaining a spare station lamp head and our tools before heading off to Ramsbottom to fix some of the reported faulty station lights, the first one was a station canopy light which turned out to be faulty electronic starter circuitry.
The unit was taken down for refurbishment and a new fitting to be fitted, along with the repainting of the unit.

Next up was a station lamp head unit which was letting in water and blowing the lamp, this head unit was replaced by a spare we had brought with us. The replaced unit will also be refurbished and to try to find out how water ingress had got into the unit.

The train was caught back to BBS and our workshop, I went back up to Bury South signal box to fit the aforementioned plastic knob to the water heater, after the epoxy resin had been given time to set, please be gentle with the knob as the actress said to the Bishop, or is it the other way round! :lol:

That was it for another day in the electrical volunteer department. 8)
Last edited by asbibby on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Union Pacific

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 19-1-2014.

Post by Union Pacific »

I'm sure it was the Bishop saying that to the actress. :shock:
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
lightphase

Post by lightphase »

Union Pacific wrote:I'm sure it was the Bishop saying that to the actress. :shock:
maybe the actress was trying to tell us something :wink: :wink: :wink:
martin_livingstone

Post by martin_livingstone »

I like the way ~ 20 lines of text was consumed just so Mr B could crowbar in his knob joke. Class ! :D :D
"Scattered showers my arse - Noah"
marflow

Post by marflow »

ASB forgot to mention the kipling cakes and biscuits we enjoyed!

Does anybody know where the cauldron from Halloween is? It needs fettling properly before it can be used regularly.
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere