Archive Pictures

Only railway orientated links please.
horwich-works

Archive Pictures

Post by horwich-works »

Hi all

I have been recently clearing out my Grandmothers house and found some black and white pictures amongst a massive collection of railway pictures.
Taken I believe by my late uncle I would guess around the late 1960's at various locations around Bolton Trinity Street .I have tried to put the info of the loco to the picture but have struggled with two if anyone has any ideas they can be found on the link below

http://davidtomlinsonphotography.weebly ... tures.html

Thanks

Dave
keepchuffin2012

Re: Archive Pictures

Post by keepchuffin2012 »

horwich-works wrote:Hi all

I have been recently clearing out my Grandmothers house and found some black and white pictures amongst a massive collection of railway pictures.
Taken I believe by my late uncle I would guess around the late 1960's at various locations around Bolton Trinity Street .I have tried to put the info of the loco to the picture but have struggled with two if anyone has any ideas they can be found on the link below

http://davidtomlinsonphotography.weebly ... tures.html

Thanks

Dave
Marvellous, was never a serious spotter but can remember that long long footbridge over the tracks, some folk don't believe it was there, but can be seen in your photos. Thanks for sharing.
Keith Howarth.
Bolton Loco

Post by Bolton Loco »

The photo of 48773 looks like it could be under Orlando St. bridge, this loco was allocated to Bolton in around 1963/4. It had a reputation of being a good 'un.
The only time I worked on it was one night on the 6PM - 02;00 AM shift when it came in onto number 4 road, (The boiler washout road) I did the washout exam on it couldn't find much needing doing to it.
It only had about 75 psi in the boiler so when I tried the exhaust steam injector I didn' expect anything to happen unles a gasket od cone joint somewhere was leaking, non were BUT the injector fired up and began putting water in the boiler.
This was the only time in all my railway career I saw an exhaust injector start up with less than a 100 lbs in the boiler.
I have ssen them working with less than a 100 lbs pressure but only if the pressure was well above a 100 when the injector was put on.
Syd
irwellsteam

Post by irwellsteam »

Those are some interesting pictures, BTW the second one, of the caprotti black 5 is 44686, not 44586
horwich-works

Post by horwich-works »

Cheers Alex and Syd for the info ill amend the pic later

Dave