The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 09-6-2013.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 09-6-2013.

Post by asbibby »

:D Simon was first into our workshop today, a quick clean up was required to enable us to make a brew before starting work. Simon and Paul one of the mid-week volunteers have been making steady progress on the re-wiring of Bury Bolton Street station, platforms three & four.
Clive was on a radio club event in Wigan and Chris was attending a wedding.

Simon and myself went over to platform four to check out first our scaffold and how we are going to cut & then joint the the mains cable from the old distribution box to the new distribution box, this will require approx. seven metres of new plastic insulated 1kv rated cable and an appropriate jointing kit.

We were then joined by Jonathan, Len and John and after a brew and a cake Jonathan and Len went off to do the usual checks on the fire alarm call points at The Trackside and BBS station, everything was working OK and the findings recorded in the log books.

A discussion took place regarding training on the usage of our mobile tower scaffold which will be done in the near future, i am the only competent person at present in the electrical department who is allowed to erect and dismantle the scaffold.
Some parts of our scaffold have gone missing so we decided to make one last attempt to locate them on the railway, Len and John headed up to Ramsbottom Station to see if parts had been left up there, we checked Baron Street steam shed and the carriage and wagon shed but to no avail, new replacement parts will have to be ordered so that the scaffold can be used to it's full height again.

Lunch was then taken after we all met up again in our workshop.

We had previously in the day had a look at a reported fluorescent fitting which was not working in the gents toilets at Baron Street steam shed, after getting rid of loads of cob webs around the fitting it appeared that the connectors seemed to be at fault so a replacement fitting was sourced and tested back in our workshop in case we needed to change the complete unit.
John had a look at the problem and managed to rectify the unit whilst fitting a new tube at the same time, all is now working.
It is a pity that the state of this gents toilet facility at Baron Street is in such a state, it is not fit for purpose at present, the toilet ceiling is covered in cob webs, the paint is peeling off the walls, discarded toilet rolls litter the place, toilet cubicles are very dirty and the toilet basins themselves are in a filthy condition.
The ELRPS volunteers have their own toilet facilities in Tate Towers which are cleaned by ELRPS volunteers, i can only surmise that the Baron Street facilities are used by Riley & Sons Engineering & ELR full time workers and volunteers, who is responsible for keeping this welfare facility in a clean useable condition?

It was then back to the workshop for a final brew a slice of jam and cream sponge cake which John had kindly brought in for us to sample. :D
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
mike-smashing

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 09-6-2013.

Post by mike-smashing »

asbibby wrote: It is a pity that the state of this gents toilet facility at Baron Street is in such a state, it is not fit for purpose at present, the toilet ceiling is covered in cob webs, the paint is peeling off the walls, discarded toilet rolls litter the place, toilet cubicles are very dirty and the toilet basins themselves are in a filthy condition.
Only used them once or twice, when we still had the Standard Fayre. They were particularly vile then, so I dread to think what they are like now.

I daresay, in the dim and distant past, they were looked after by spare loco Cleaners working "Shed Turns", or by some old chap who has long since gone, and keeping the toilets clean has long since fallen through the gaps. This is what happens at most preserved railways as far as I can tell.

I think Riley's have their own toilets in their portable office building in the works yard, as the Society has in "Tate Towers".

No doubt people are still using this facility, given that the faulty light was noticed and reported, but your description makes it sound like it's become even more unloved now that the primary users have more attractive facilities.

The state of these facilities are likely in contravention of The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, if anyone can be bothered to complain about them.

Mike
XTMike

Post by XTMike »

Fear not. The male toilets at Baron Street WILL HAVE a makeover very soon. The ladies has already been done and only pressure of piled up jobs has kept the Mid Week PWay gang away from that area.

Rawtenstall Station has required a mini-overhaul in time for the opening of the bar and the Heywood Curve has also required some TLC over the last couple of weeks. The toilets will get done - before the Crab runs again I assure you.
Mike
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

XTMike wrote:Fear not. The male toilets at Baron Street WILL HAVE a makeover very soon. The ladies has already been done and only pressure of piled up jobs has kept the Mid Week PWay gang away from that area.

Rawtenstall Station has required a mini-overhaul in time for the opening of the bar and the Heywood Curve has also required some TLC over the last couple of weeks. The toilets will get done - before the Crab runs again I assure you.
:D To be sure that is good news, as the actress said to the bishop!
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
XTMike

Post by XTMike »

Someone from the Electrical volunteers might like to contact Laura in the BBSt office as she has details of a person who might want to join their department. Unfortunately she does not have an email address or phone number for anyone.
Mike
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

XTMike wrote:Fear not. The male toilets at Baron Street WILL HAVE a makeover very soon. The ladies has already been done and only pressure of piled up jobs has kept the Mid Week PWay gang away from that area.

I reckon new toilet bowls from B&Q will be required to bring this facility upto scratch.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.