The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 3-3-2013.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 3-3-2013.

Post by asbibby »

Jonathan decided to come in on Saturday to finish off rubbing down and repainting the two spare canopy light fittings for Bury Bolton Street Station.

The start of spring is upon us and what a pleasant day it was, I was a bit late having parked up at Baron Street and walked down the line to our workshop. Jonathan and Len had already tested out the fire alarm call points satisfactory and the rest of the crew consisting of John, Clive and Chris were already participating in a brew by the time i arrived.

Clive and i had been discussing the previous week, the possibility of providing a visual indication at Ramsbottom signal box that the Summerseat Station platform lights were indeed lit, after the run back timer had been operated in the signal box.
Clive had devised a method of enabling this by modifying the electronics, utilising diodes and resistors in the control circuitry.
Len accompanied Clive on the trip up to Ramsbottom signal box to install the additional circuitry and to test it out to see if everything would work, this was accomplished satisfactory, so the signalmen/women now have an indication the lights are lit when they have pressed the run back timer, this will enable the lights to be controlled at any time of the night, for the Friday night diner for example.
The run back timer puts the lights on for approximately one hour, Clive and Len then made their way back to BBS for lunch.

Jonathan and the rest of the team then reassembled and tested the two BBS station canopy light fittings which Jonathan had painted on Saturday. If and when the canopy is erected on platform two at BBS we will use these two spare light fittings and we have now located and cleaned up four light covers with Bury Bolton Street lettering on them.
We will have to get some metalwork manufactured to enable us to utilise the covers we are refurbishing, this will then give us a total of six canopy light fittings for fitting under the new canopy.

Lunch was then taken, finished off with some cherry bakewell tarts which Len had brought in for us all to sample.

I had to attend a meeting of The Bury Steam Locomotive Company ltd. in Baron Street ELRPS building so the rest of the team went up to the Bury Standard Four Group workshop to finish off installing six 110volt socket outlets for the group.

When i got back from the meeting most of the work had been completed, the job was finished off and tested satisfactory, we then made our way back to the workshop for a brew.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.