The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 30-12-2012.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 30-12-2012.

Post by asbibby »

On Sunday i was joined by Len, John and Chris, Clive and Jonathan were having a day off.

We finished off the outstanding work on the carriage plugs which we had started last week, fixing heat shrink tubing, testing and fitting crimp terminals. The crimper was giving a bit of trouble with John and Chris attempting a fix which proved OK whilst Len crimped the remaining terminals to the carriage plugs.
It will have to be sent away for a permanent fix and re-calibrating in the New Year.

Len and John then carried out the fire alarm call point testing which had been suspended over the Christmas Santa period, all was well and the recordings logged.

Chris, John and myself caught the train up to Ramsbottom to install the lantern outside of the signal box, this had been taken down a few weeks ago for refurbishment. The lantern was rewired up to the lamp post and the delay timer checked out, this enables the signal man to walk down the steps safely when it is dark.

The signal man asked us to have a look at two electrical heaters that had ceased to work, these were collected and brought back to our workshop for repair and PAT testing.
The train was then caught back to Bury Bolton Street Station were we had our lunch.

I had brought in a Chocolate and Coffee cake with walnuts on top, we managed to scoff the lot between us, someone suggested we leave some for Clive next week but after a democratic vote we decided not to.

Len and myself then changed a blown energy saver light bulb in BBS tunnel.

John and Chris then looked at the two electrical heaters that had been given to us for repair, the fan heaters were cleaned of an accumulation of debris and the fan motors cleaned and oiled.
One of the heaters just had a blown fuse which was replaced and a loose foot stand which was repaired, the heater was then cleaned and bench tested, both heaters will be PAT tested next week before being returned to their respective owners.

On putting some rubbish in one of the bins adjacent to the 26B model shop i found a halogen heater which had been dumped in one of the bins, i took it to our workshop to see if it was salvageable, it turned out to be working OK apart from the motor not turning the heater backwards and forwards. The motor was cleaned and refitted to a bracket which had come adrift, utilising some new screws and after a good cleaning it appears to be working OK. John, Chris and myself worked on the heater, it will require re-assembling next week before being PAT testing.

That was it for another year working in The Electrical Department of The East Lancashire Railway, see you all next year.
Have a good New Year and don't get too Elephant's trunk.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.