Howson Bar E1871

spud95

Howson Bar E1871

Post by spud95 »

Hi, Kenny here,

I think I've had an idea (scary I know) would it not be possible to wire up E1871 so that the Electrics in the buffet can run off ETH like the 'big railway' (only it's called ETS not ETH) rather than struggle with fitting and a generator?? I understand that only some of the diesels at the ELR have ETH capabilities, but we only seem to use the blue/grey set over the high season (yellow 3 train) timetable, and galas. So it doesn't get used as much as SC1833 or SC1848, which have gas boilers, and are out all of the time.

Last December, over the Santa's (when I worked on the Buffets, I don't now) we were able to run E1871's boiler, fridge (which in fairness, we prob. didn't need, it was cold enough outside!) as well as lighting, and to my astonishment, the PA system (which I used, just because I could :P ) when the coach was 'plugged in'

just an idea,

Regards,
Kenny
K. Raistrick

TTI, trainee class A Signalman and trainee Guard :D
mike-smashing

Re: Howson Bar E1871

Post by mike-smashing »

Well, there's a few things which favour equipping 1871 with a generator.

I understand there's been investigations into:

a) Reinstating a propane-powered galley - apparently difficult because of the mods made by Intercity when 1871 was re-engineered in the 90s to have an electric galley. This also doesn't fix the issue that 1871 had it's belt-driven lighting dynamo and associated "Wolverton" lighting gubbins removed, and replaced with something slightly more modern, which is also why it's prone to flat batts if it's not charged up in the evenings after a day's work (Intercity's re-engineering assumed there would always be an ETH machine up front).

b) Repairing and reinstating the existing motor-alternator set on 1871, so that when an ETH locomotive is attached and supplying ETH, the galley has 240V electric power, and the batts are charged - while a good idea, there are three seperate cons with this:
i) motor-alternator sets can be quite unreliable, especially if they are irregularly used
ii) this would only work with an ETH locomotive on the train
iii) as 1871 is mainly used during 3-train season, this is also no heat season when the majority of rostered locos have no train heat, so you wouldn't have galley power

(May also be an issue to get parts for the MA set these days?)

c) Installing a small generator, which is the current plan. This allows the buffet to have power, and batts to be charged, irrespective of ETH availability. Handy when working with steam heat locos (or steam locos!). It may also be able to charge the lighting system on other coaches in the train.

The latter option is felt to be the most viable.

Note that the PA system works off the carriage batteries, so as long as the batts are healthy, the PA works.

Cheers,
Mike
spud95

Post by spud95 »

...That's quite lengthy, but informative too,

Cheers mike,

Regards,
Kenny
K. Raistrick

TTI, trainee class A Signalman and trainee Guard :D
marflow

Re: ETH

Post by marflow »

The ETH supply is 1000 volts (ish). Designed to give lots of watts at a lower amperage for heating down a long rake. (It's the amps that cause losses in cables). So I wouldn't have thought ETH supplies were suitable for galley use etc.

The concept is of interest as we're just re-wiring a coach's ETH because the wiring insulation has rotted away. It's a hell of a job as there are 36 heaters in a series/parallel configuration.
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere
Hymek The Cat

Re: ETH

Post by Hymek The Cat »

marflow wrote:The ETH supply is 1000 volts (ish). Designed to give lots of watts at a lower amperage for heating down a long rake. (It's the amps that cause losses in cables). So I wouldn't have thought ETH supplies were suitable for galley use etc.
As Mike has pointed out 1871 is currently fitted with a motor-alternator set which is powered by the ETH supply. The MA set will operate in the 800 - 1000V range. The output from this is 240V AC which is used for powering the various equipment in the galley as well as battery charging. This is the same method used on later Mk2 and Mk3 stock to supply power to the air conditioning.

The issue with 1871 is the MA set is u/s and requires repairing. Not a problem but that would mean an ETH loco would always be needed to give a supply to the MA set. Here is the biggest problem as we currently only have one loco, 50015, that is capable of supplying a constant output on ETH that will run the MA set reliably. Whilst there are other locos that can supply ETH, they do not give a constant output.

D1501 (47402) outputs 800V which is at the bottom end of ETH requirements. More critically, to supply ETH, the engine idle speed is raised, but, when moving away from a stand, the engine revs drop back to the lower idle speed to prevent an overload of the main generator. This obviously cuts the ETH supply. MA sets do not like having variable voltage supplies.

As for Deltics their issues stem from the fact that ETH is supplied directly from the main gen. This had to be done as there was no room for an ETH gen to be fitted. At idle the main gen will only supply 425V so to provide ETH both generators are connected in series to give an output of 850V. When under power the ETH is supplied by the generator of the leading power unit. This was
achieved as follows, with the power handle closed both generators are connected in series supplying ETH output of 850V, opening the power handle cuts off the ETH supply and a time delay relay of three seconds prevents traction current being drawn whilst the ETH contactors switch over to supply from the leading power unit, BUT ETH is not switched back on until a minimum of 600V is being supplied from the generator, this to give maximum starting power. When closing the power handle there is a ten second delay before the ETH supply is switched back to both generators connected in series, this is to prevent unnecessary switching should power be shut off momentarily for a signal etc. As can be seen Deltic ETH is very variable in output, regularly being switched off and varying from 600 - 850V.

There were MA sets which had modified control systems which allowed them to work with 47401 - 20 and Class 55. These were fitted to batches of ER based vehicles but following the withdrawl of, firstly Deltics and then the 20 47/4s, just became part of the common user pool.

Class 33s cannot supply ETH to MA sets as they have the same setup as 47401-420 and some of them had the output derated for SR stock.
mike-smashing

Post by mike-smashing »

Aidy, thanks for the detailed description of how Deltic ETH is derived from the generators. I always knew it was an unstable voltage because of how it was fed from the main gens, but never really understood exactly why. Learn something new every day... :)

For those interested, there's quite a bit of material around about the disastrous early experience with the Mk2ds on the ER - the unstable voltage causing MA flashovers, loco generator flashovers, and other issues, further complicated by the fact that most running depots just weren't geared up to deal with such faults.

The MA sets gave trouble for so much of the working life of the Mk2s, I remember interviewing one of the senior T&RS bods at InterCity for my Final Year project at Uni in the early 90s - they were still making mods and changes even then to try and improve MA reliability.

Being more of a WCML person, I was somewhat surprised that the MA sets coped as well as they did with the ETH being toggled off and on each time the AC loco ran through a neutral section. I remember in the 80s it was common to see a coach with no ventilation and no lighting - more often than not a 2e in one of the South West-Scotland trains - because the MA had failed or tripped. The 2f seemed much more tolerant.

Cromptons also do a similar trick to 47401-20, engine revs drop back from "ETH idle" to idle when moving the power handle out of "off" when supplying ETH, causing a voltage drop.

It is noticeable on a chilly day that 50015 puts out a more stable ETH supply, in the sense that you're not as cold. :wink:

Cheers,
Mike

Post by 37431 »

Will the Howson Bar be able to be modified so that more use of it as a buffet can be made?
Alan Groves
ELR Volunteer - long term sick since Aug 2013
mike-smashing

Post by mike-smashing »

37431 wrote:Will the Howson Bar be able to be modified so that more use of it as a buffet can be made?
It can be used as a buffet right now. It has a perfectly good counter and servery area, that in some respects is superior to the other RMBs - i.e. it's lockable! It's been fitted with a trickle charger so that as long as it is charged up overnight, the lighting works fine.

It's just that some folk whinge about having to have flasks provided for hot water, and when given a choice, they choose to not work it, and in doing so let the railway down by not meeting visitor expectations, and losing the ELR some catering revenue.

Lee has been researching suitable gen sets which can be fitted to 1871 so the AC galley equipment can be powered up.

Mike