The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 5-2-2012.

asbibby

The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 5-2-2012.

Post by asbibby »

:D
Len rang me on Saturday to say he would not make it on Sunday, Jonathan, Clive, John and myself showed up on Sunday.
Driving conditions were a bit dodgy with all the snow and ice around, especially if you drive a rear wheel drive car.

First job we tackled was Jonathan and myself checking out the fire alarm call points in the refurbished booking hall and The Trackside, everything was fine and the findings recorded.

We were asked to replace a security light in the shop and to check that the timings were correct on the timer, this we did.

We then gave the R.O. a hand early in the morning as some of the electrically operated points were not giving the correct indications, a scrape with a spade and a stiff brush sorted the problem. Similar treatment had to given to other points on the system.

With the weather being so bad we carried on with the carriage plug refurbishment programme in our workshop. Clive and John fitted yellow crimps onto the end of the leads, then heat shrinked the ends were the leads go into the carriage plugs, this gives both mechanical strength and prevents water ingress into the plugs themselves.
The new leads and plugs were then tested for continuity, contact between pins and earth leakage.

Jonathan and myself meanwhile had started to reassemble more refurbished leads and plugs, at the end of the day we finished off thirty six refurbished leads, ready for fitting onto the carriages in the future.

We all had an early lunch before Jonathan and myself went down to the carriage sidings to do a stock check on what carriages had had new plugs and leads fitted, we then went into the carriage & wagon shop to see if any carriages had been brought in for restoration work.

Two carriages had been brought in for metalwork and window repairs and they both had old plug leads fitted, these were removed for stripping and refurbishment.
We will provide new leads and plugs for these carriages next week.

The old leads and plugs were taken back to our workshop to be soaked in oil to release the components which are always full of verdigree and other nasties.

A quick tidy up of the workshop and we called it a day and made our way home.
:roll:
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.