The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 29-1-2012.

asbibby

The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 29-1-2012.

Post by asbibby »

A full compliment of volunteers turned up today on a cold January morning, Jonathan, myself, Len, Clive and John.

Len and Jonathan went off to test out the fire alarm call points in BBS and The Trackside, all was well and the findings were recorded in the log book.

No one had reported any electrical problems on the railway, so we decided to stay in our workshop, keep warm, sup plenty tea and carry on with the carriage plug refurbishment program.

Len, John and Clive set to tinning the wires on the previously pre cut carriage cables, once the wires had been tinned they got the blow torch out to get some heat onto the copper pins ready for soldering.

Meanwhile Jonathan and myself test fitted the bakelite mouldings into the carriage plug casings, some fitted easily but six of the mouldings required some fettling. After much rubbing with emery cloth we decided to go down to the Joiners shop to see if we could use the sanding machine. Keith of the joiners shop obliged with the operation to sand the mouldings to fit the plug casings.

Then it was back to the workshop to start to assemble the cables, now fitted with cleaned up and soldered copper pins. John had obtained some new stainless steel whitworth screws for us to use in reassembling the carriage plug leads and obtained them at a very good price, using his strong negotiating skills.

Lunch and a brew were then taken before carrying on with the carriage plugs, we did about twelve leads before shrinking down heat shrink sleeving over the cables were they enter the carriage plugs.
The heat shrink has adhesive on the inside and when this is heated up the sleeving shrinks and the adhesive melts, so forming a water proof sealing around the plug and the cable.

We tested out a total of thirty plugs and cables for continuity and meggered them all, to our satisfaction, we will carry on with this job next week.
Last edited by asbibby on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.

Post by 4472 »

Alan

P;ease can you give me a PM asap

John Tate