The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 4-12-2011.

mouldyjamontoast
Site Admin

The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 4-12-2011.

Post by mouldyjamontoast »

Admin comment

It has been requested that the thread "The Sunday Electrical Volunteers Report 4-12-2011." be moved from the Electrical section, to the Working Members section mainly due to details within the replies regarding the coaching stock.

Please could Working Members continue the conversation in the thread in the Working Members section.

The original report by one of the Electrical Volunteers - asbibby - has been quoted below.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation
asbibby wrote:On Saturday Jonathan came in to do some work on some of the spare canopy light fittings which we have.
A start was made on stripping down and grinding off paint and rust from one of the units, before painting in white paint the inside of the unit.

Sunday Jonathan, Clive, John and myself met in the workshop, Len is still not well so he was better staying at home as it was cold and wet today.

Jonathan and myself did the usual checks on the fire alarm call points in BBS and The Trackside, all was well and the findings recorded.

We then replaced some blown lights in the Christmas lights outside The Trackside.

Meanwhile Clive finished off repairing two extension short mains leads which had once again been run over by a train, they should all be dissconecting before the train is moved.
These mains leads are used to keep the batteries fully charged when not in use, please guards and shunters ensure that the mains leads are safely removed before the carriages are moved.

I then received a phone call from Heywood Station asking us to repair a light fitting which had come loose and was hanging down in the waiting room.
We had obtained new bulbs to fit on the platform at Heywood so we get together and loaded all our equipment onto the guards van on the shuttle up to Heywood.

First job at Heywood was to fix the light fitting which was dangling down at a silly angle, new fixings were utilised and the unit made safe.
The rain had eased off so we set about erecting our mobile tower scaffold to gain access to lamp heads, we changed three of the 70w bulbs and tested the rest of the platform lights.

On the concrete ramp at the rear of the Station two out of the three bulkhead lights were not lit, this was investigated and two edison screw energy savers bulbs were blown.
We would have to have a return visit later in the day, all our gear was then loaded back on the shuttle back to BBS and lunch and a brew.

After lunch Clive and Jonathan went back up to Heywood to fix the bulkhead lights and to do some maintenance on the door hinges and lock mechanisms on the Station buildings.

John and myself set off in John's van to finish off the hot water heater job we had started last week.
On arriving at Townsend Fold signal box and reconnecting the flexible water coupling which had previously been leaking, it was found that a hairline crack in the water boiler was the culprit. We decided to take down the complete unit to see if we could fix the problem in our workshop.

On arriving back in our workshop i got out our soldering iron and tried to seal the crack in the plastic by running the iron over the crack.
We will return next week to see if it works.

Next job John and I did was to see what was wrong with three of the lamps which were not lit in Castlecroft Yard. This turned out to be blown bulbs and fuses which we have run out of and will have to be ordered for next week.

We all met up again back in the workshop for a warm and a brew before finishing for the day.
Alex King

ELR Guard, Guards Manager and Forum Admin
Member of Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk