The Caledonian Tornado 21st September 2011

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
Stalytax

Post by Stalytax »

An article in Steam railway quotes Hayden Fortune, of promoter HF Railtours, asking if 510 miles steam haulage is a record for a railtour.

I dont necessarily believe Steam Railway, but the promoter ought to know.

I might start a book on the train though, on what time we all get home.
Simon

Post by Simon »

sng60007 wrote:Anyway we will wait and see
Gonna have too... nothing internally on the systems on the 6th Floor.

Post by 4472 »

Simon

There may not be anything on the 5th Floor but the full details are in the very latest issue of the Heritage Railway Magazine but although it does give the timings, it clearly states they are provisional

Get out of this one Mr Valentine!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatie
malc

Post by malc »

The times quoted above are the provisional times which appear on HF Railtours website (the fact they are on nice 5 minute boundaries is always a clue that they are not the final timings). Rarely (if ever) do the provisional timings advertised by the promoter match the final timings produced by Network Rail.
Simon

Post by Simon »

4472 wrote:Simon

There may not be anything on the 5th Floor but the full details are in the very latest issue of the Heritage Railway Magazine but although it does give the timings, it clearly states they are provisional

Get out of this one Mr Valentine!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatie
6th Floor... we ain't moved... yet :(
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Tatie has dissapeared to sunnier climate for a couple of weeks now so we will see Simon what actually happens, if I am wrong thenso be it but that layover time at Preston allows for either watering or loco change ?

I am sure Simon you will know before anyone else on here.
TBirdFrank

Post by TBirdFrank »

Well there you go - forty minutes earlier out of Stockport - looks like a water stop at Denton - then Vic at 07.41, and Bolton at 08.06.

Then on the return, NR the useless fatherless have closed the line via Cheadle Hulme so its bus home.

Looks like the free car park at Bolton and a civilised 08.06 rather than get clobbered for "two days" at Stockport with that after midnight arrival and twenty quid on top!

But we're still getting Shap and Beattock both ways in one day - and four hours should be enough to properly service and refresh the loco at Motherwell - but what about the support crew - it looks like a twenty four hour from the Heritage Centre
Oh No! Not 'the village idiot and 'is opinions again
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Ah well Mr Tate, hate to say I told you so but there was no way this was coming through occy rd, the long no go for steam via pic occy rd corridor continues.
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

but steam before preston

... hmmm, can I make it in 50 mins from Victoria to Hulme for work?

had a little ride behind torndao today at Barrow hill, was looking good in green.
Stalytax

Post by Stalytax »

TBirdFrank wrote: get clobbered for "two days" at Stockport with that after midnight arrival and twenty quid on top!
Dang! I'd wondered about that, I was going to go to Stockport and park there. I must check if its per 24 hours or calendar day, otherwise I might look at the parking options around Man Vic. I hate paying to park at the best of times, but I'mm damned if I'm paying for 2 days for arriving at 00.20!
horwich-works

Post by horwich-works »

A couple of shots taken this morning as Tornado accelerates away from Blackrod at Douglas valley .

http://davidtomlinsonphotography.weebly ... lways.html

www.david-tomlinson.co.uk

Dave
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Nice shot, gutted about the smoke coming down :(
horwich-works

Post by horwich-works »

Thanks Nigel ,yea gutted that the wind picked up and it blew the smoke down on her but it could have been worse at least the rain didnt turn up .

Dave