The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 19-6-2011.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 19-6-2011.

Post by asbibby »

Jonathan came in on Saturday to strip and repaint carriage plug covers so we could fit them on Sunday.

Not quite a full compliment of volunteers turned up today Father's Day, Len, Jonathan, Clive and his son Alex plus myself, missing was John who was being farthered today by his offspring.

First task as usual for Jonathan and Len was to test the fire alarm call points at The Trackside Pub/Cafe and BBS Station, all was well and they recorded the findings in the fire alarm log book.

I checked out the carriages plugs on the carriages in platforms three and four a few needed self amalgamating tape fitting and a retaining chain fitting to a couple of the carriage plugs.

We received a report that a light fitting was faulty in Irene's shop on BBS booking hall, I went to check out the problem, this just needed a five foot tube replacing.

The phone rang again in our workshop, this time it was a request from the Ramsbottom station staff asking us to replace a D type light fitting in the gents toilet.
Clive and Alex set off to Ramsbottom to effect a repair, whilst also checking the light outside the signal box.

A request had been made to us to test out and fit a mains plug to a fridge which had been donated to the snack bar on platform three/four this proved to be OK. A check to see if was cooling OK would be made later.

A PM had been sent to me regarding the electric cooker in Bury South signal box, Jonathan, Len and myself armed with our tools and the AVO made our way down to box.
The problem turned out to be user error, the selector switch on the cooker has to be turned on to the position showing the large cooker ring before turning on the control knob that controls the heat to the large ring.

We then made our way to the Carriage & Wagon shed to carry on with work on the carriage plugs, the Howson bar car was sorted first with three new plugs and four covers with chain restrainers.

Lunch was now calling so off we went back to our workshop were we met up with Clive and Alex who had effected repairs at Ramsbottom Station.

Back to the Carriage & Wagon shed to remove a rotten wooden patress from another carriage we fitted a new patress along with crimping new crimps on the carriage plug wiring.
A new back plate and cover were fitted and the new crimped wires were fastened up before fitting a newly refurbished carriage plug lead.

A further two carriages had their carrige plug covers painted, these had been fitted last week and just needed painting.

Jonathan them went to check to see if the fridge was working correctly in the snack bar, it was working satisfactory.

The old recovered plug covers will be stripped down and repainted.

That was it for another full day for the Electrical Volunteers, so after another brew we packed in for the day.

What lies in store next week.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.