The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-1-2011.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 23-1-2011.

Post by asbibby »

On Saturday Jonathan came in to do some more work on the Carriage plugs, whilst in the workshop the phone rang and he was asked to catch the train up to Ramsbottom as there was a problem with the heating system.
It turned out to be a problem with the gas boiler, which has now been reported to the appropriate people.

Sunday saw a full team out, Clive, John, Len, Jonathan and myself, first job as usual was to check out the fire alarm call points in BBS and The trackside pub/cafe, everything was satisfactory and the findings were recorded.

We collected the Christmas light containers and the tower scaffold and caught the 10:05 train hauled by The Duke of Gloucester to Ramsbottom to take down and store the Christmas lights, this done, we caught the same train back to BBS.

An early lunch was then taken before we loaded up again with the scaffold and the electronic equipment which Clive had made for the remote switching of the station lights at Summerseat.
One of the station lights at Summerseat also needed a new lamp and globe fitting, vandals again!

We alighted with all our equipment and set to the tasks to be done, first we fitted a new lamp and globe on one of the lamp posts, then we started to installing the photo cell and cabling on the first lamp post nearest the electrical cubicle, Clive then rewired the station lights into the electronics box which we had installed in the brick electrical cubicle.
The station lights were tested with the photo cell covered up to ensure that the photo cell was working and that the new wiring was correct.

Once the telephone pair is connected up from Ramsbottom to Summerseat the Signal man will be able to turn the lights on and off remotely, i.e. when the diners are running on Fridays or on special night charters for example.
They come on automatically on Saturday and Sunday via the electronic seven day timer, now governed by the photo cell as well.
They can also be switched on manually.

The train was caught back to BBS and all our kit unloaded and stored safely away, a brew was taken before we had a look at one of the electrical hand dryers we wanted to exchange, a special tool we found out, is required to complete this task.

That was it for another Sunday at least we managed a few rides on the gala day, with plenty trains running it makes life a little easier when we are trying to get from one part of the railway to another.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
mouldyjamontoast
Site Admin

Post by mouldyjamontoast »

I saw you gentlemen whilst guarding on Sunday afternoon, however, I did notice something a tad strange with the lights at Summerseat after the modifications had been completed and it had gone dark.

On approaching the platforms with the last service of the day from Rawtenstall, the platform was in darkness.
It was only as the train approached and had started it's run down the platform, that *some* of the lights started to come on, with 2 or 3 lights spaced between each lit light not illuminated.

The lights also seemed to be running in no sequence whatsoever and for no average amount of time as there were lights going out that had been illuminated previously, with another light coming on elsewhere in it's place - All it needed was the Benny Hill music to complete the scene!
Alex King

ELR Guard, Guards Manager and Forum Admin
Member of Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

mouldyjamontoast wrote:I saw you gentlemen whilst guarding on Sunday afternoon, however, I did notice something a tad strange with the lights at Summerseat after the modifications had been completed and it had gone dark.

On approaching the platforms with the last service of the day from Rawtenstall, the platform was in darkness.
It was only as the train approached and had started it's run down the platform, that *some* of the lights started to come on, with 2 or 3 lights spaced between each lit light not illuminated.

The lights also seemed to be running in no sequence whatsoever and for no average amount of time as there were lights going out that had been illuminated previously, with another light coming on elsewhere in it's place - All it needed was the Benny Hill music to complete the scene!
Thanks Alex for your observations, very strange, we shall investigate said lights next Sunday.
marflow

Sorry, Lads!

Post by marflow »

In reply to your observations, Alex. Sat at home, I couldn't suss out what was happening. But then it occurred to me. The photocell is below the first light. When it cuts in, the first light illuminates the photocell. Need I say more? The lamps have a thermal switch inside them and won't re-strike until they have cooled down. So they come on again at slightly differing times. On Sunday, we'll move the photocell to above the "top hat".
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere
mouldyjamontoast
Site Admin

Post by mouldyjamontoast »

It was a rather odd sight that's for sure.

The flickering lights didn't make looking for opening/closing doors particularly easy as the train entered and left the station, due to the constantly changing shadows.

One couldn't tell what was shadow and what could be a passengers arm going for a door handle from 2 carriages away!
Alex King

ELR Guard, Guards Manager and Forum Admin
Member of Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk
asbibby

Summerseat Station Lights.

Post by asbibby »

Jonathan has volunteered to dissconnect the wiring to the first lamp post on Saturday to stop the lights going on and off, a permanent fix will be done later.
Ie. The photocell above the top of the light.