The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-11-2010.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-11-2010.

Post by asbibby »

On Saturday Jonathan came in to the workshop to finish off painting some of the Victorian lamp heads we now have five of these lamp heads spare along with six spare standard station lamp heads.

Len had rung up earlier to say he would not be in on Sunday due to a prior arrangement, I was joined on Sunday by Clive, Jonathan, and John, first job was to check out the fire alarm call points in BBS and The Trackside before most of the Santa customers had arrived. The Santa trains appeared to be full, a great start to the Christmas season.

We had parked at Baron Street and Castlecroft and the walk down to our workshop at BBS was freezing i have not been as cold since Adam was a lad.

John started to strip down two flurescent units he had found, the spares will come in handy when other units have to be repaired, we like to recycle bits and pieces if we can, it all saves money in the end.

Bob Johnson appeared in our workshop asking if we could have a look at the carriage charging points supply as the supply had gone down, this was traced to a MCB (minature circuit breaker) on the distribution board in the signalling/telecomms. store, it was tripping due to the circuit being overloaded, once the load had been reduced, no problem.

Roger from the 26B shop paid us a visit and asked us to have a look at a water boiler which would not switch off, this was traced to a faulty thermostat/switch. Roger had another spare water boiler with no lid so we swapped the switches and got Roger's boiler working again.

Jonathan and myself did a lamp check on the Christmas lights outside of the Trackside we changed fifteen lamps which had blown.

Last week we had noticed that quite a few flurescent tubes in the carriage and wagon shed were not working, so we headed off down to the C & W armed with a dozen spare five foot tubes.
The C & W lads kindly stayed on whilst we changed the tubes before locking up after we had finished.
Whilst in the C & W we moved one of the carriage chargers which was covered in ice, an overhead water pipe had burst covering some of the carriages in water which subsequently froze solid, the stop cock had been found and the water turned off, a job for the plumber me thinks.

Back to the workshop for a warm and a brew it had started to get cold again, the spare boiler which Roger had was missing a lid, so we set about manufacturing one out of the case of an old electrical heater, like i said we like to recycle things.
Clive will order a new thermostat/switch so we can fix the spare boiler next week.

Another fun day for the Electrical volunteers. :P
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.