The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 25-2-2018.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 25-2-2018.

Post by asbibby »

Clive and myself came in early before the customers arrived in the Trackside to check the wiring to the ex. Ray Butcher clock which has been installed above the bar in the Trackside. It was found that the red control wire was disconnected at both the clock and the control unit, the wires were reconnected and the clock is now working.
We were joined in the Trackside by Jonathan, but both Len and John had contacted us to say they were both unwell.

Stuart then joined us looking for Simon the full time ELR electrician, but we found out that Simon was on holiday so Stuart erected the IKEA style flat pack steel cabinet which had been purchased for us to keep all our tools and instruments in.
The cabinet was then affixed to the workshop wall to give it more stability and the shelves fixed in place before we transferred all our gear into the new cabinet. :D

The rest of the workshop was then given a sort out after new space had been found on the shelves now that we have got more secure storage.

The fire alarm call points both in the Trackside and Bury Bolton Street Station concourse were then tested and the results logged. One of the call points we disscovered requires replacing, this will be done next week. 8)

An early lunch was taken then we were asked to have a look at the blue button call crossing units as there appeared to be a problem with them. The problem on inspection turned out to be dampness getting into the electronics, they were all taken down and Clive is going to coat the electronics with Shellac to prevent dampness causing problems. :P

Steve called in our workshop to return the Smiths speedo head off The Bury Standard Four Group engine 80097 after completely refurbishing the unit, the speedo along with the Smiths generator and regulator will be bench tested and calibrated in the next couple of weeks. :)
The studs from the Smiths regulator were cleaned and the nuts loosened after being seized for many years, they are all now free and the holes in the nuts cleaned so that they can be wired up to prevent them becoming loose when the engine is in motion. The other bolts and nuts on the Smiths generator have also been renovated and wired up. :D

The time clock controlling the platform lights at BBS platform 3 & 4 was reset to come on, Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 16:00 hours to 20:00 hours. We will fit a photo-cell on the lights in the not too distant future. :idea:

No cake today but we did manage a few brews, back next week for more shenanigans round the light bulbs. :?
Last edited by asbibby on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Union Pacific

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 25-2-2018.

Post by Union Pacific »

It was p-way's turn for Mr Kiplings this week for a change,
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
marflow

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 25-2-2018.

Post by marflow »

Sadly, our Ray Butcher clock is playing up. Suspect dirt in the cogs. As this is an original "Bury Made" clock, we feel it's worth all the effort to gerrit going. It's been going for six years down at Baron Street (without correction) so why has moving it caused it problems?
It uses the same gubbins as the drum clock on platform 3/4 and that's been going for 10 years or so.

Managed to fix the water damaged blue button. The tiny amount of rain water had actually etched away the printed circuit in that short time. Talk about Acid rain.....and we BREATH that!
Anyway. I repaired it and have shellacked all four. I've also managed to get the LED on the original door bell to shine in the "blue button". It's not very bright and I can't make it brighter without compromising battery life. But at least we can use it to check working-ness of the button. Whilst at it, I glued the back of the button to the box. To stop folk twisting it and ripping the wires off inside. I've no doubt they'll find yet another way of destroying them! Hope to re-fix Sunday, 4/3. Ready for steamy gala.
Clive
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere