The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-10-2017.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-10-2017.

Post by asbibby »

:shock: A full team were involved today, Simon & Lewis the full time ELR electricians and the volunteers, Len, John, Clive, Jonathan and myself, after a swift brew and a M & S mince pie curtesy of Len we split into two teams.

The six refurbished lamp heads were collected from store and the with a selection of tools, Clive, Len and Jonathan set off for Ramsbottom Station to install and test the lights.

Clive had brought in a new set of brushes purchased off the internet for an angle grinder which we had stripped down last Sunday, these were fitted by myself and John, then PAT tested before returning them to the Bury Standard 4 Group.

A large 240v extension lead was brought into our workshop not working, this was condemned due to the cable being damaged in five places and the extension lead being wound on a steel frame which is not safe.
The various good lengths of cable were saved for further use in the workshop.

Next to repair and test was a small electrical heater which had stopped working, this was traced to a blown thyristor which protects the heater, a new thyristor will have to be sourced.

I then received a phone call from Clive who was at Ramsbottom installing the lights, he asked me to bring some screws which were missing from one of the lamp heads. I caught the next train to Rammy with some spare bolts and another spare lamp head.
The lamp heads were all fitted and tested before we all returned to our workshop in Bury Bolton Street station.
This leaves just four lamp heads to refurbish at Ramsbottom, which will have to be done after Christmas now.

We stripped down two fluorescent light fittings in readiness to convert them to led fittings.
A final brew was had with a piece of sponge cake provided by John.

The Christmas lights installation work is nearly upon us, boy does it come round quick.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
marflow

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 22-10-2017.

Post by marflow »

Just for the record, it's lamps 1,2,4,5 on platform 1, counting from Bury end wot need refurbing.

I measured up the wooden cupboard in the ticket office for the clock. So I can make an electronic mech to replace the broken clockwork one. I've got it all working now. Just wants bunging in a suitable box to fit in the said cupboard. Then it'll need rating (calibrating). Same principle as the drum clock at BBS p3/4.

The station lads seem to love the "giant" blue buttons. Who's going to look after changing the batteries? A23's
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere