The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 16-11-2014.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 16-11-2014.

Post by asbibby »

:) On Saturday Jonathan came in and prepared some station platform lighting covers, which had been dropped off outside our workshop, these are lamp post light fittings similar to the ones on platform three and four at Bury Bolton street Station.
All the units which we have, will be refurbished with new internal light fittings and will stripped down ready for repainting.

On Sunday it was Len, John, Clive and myself, Jonathan contacted us to say that he was feeling unwell and wouldn't be in today.

John and myself went down to the carriage & wagon workshop to drop off eight refurbished carriage plug leads and exchanged them for four old carriage plug leads that need stripping down and rewiring.
They are now in a releasing fluid, to enable us to strip them down a bit easier.

We had a request to sort out a problem on an industrial blue 240v socket outlet in the standard 4 shed, this turned out to be a fault on an extension lead which was plugged into the socket.
No neutral due to a trapped wire on the insulation instead of on the bare wire.

Clive and Len managed to release the screws holding the Hoover which was in our workshop for repair, the fault turned out to be the regulator which had short circuited. Clive got round the problem by strapping out the regulator mechanism.
The unit was tested and then returned to The Trackside.

John and myself then started to strip down the three lamp post fittings which we had been give, the trouble with these is that they are rusted solid and all the screws and bolts are having to be saw off.
It going to be a long job!

Lunch was then taken with a welcoming brew in our workshop.

Clive and Len sorted out some telecoms spares and completed some carriage plug leads, fitting crimps and heat shrink tubing onto the finished carriage plug leads.

John and Clive finished off cleaning the years of rust and crud off some more of the light fittings.

One final brew and to celebrate John's 80Th. birthday we each scoffed a piece of Thornton's chocolate cake.

That was it for another week.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.