The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-06-2015.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-06-2015.

Post by asbibby »

On Sunday i was joined by, John, Jonathan and Clive we had a quick brew then Jonathan and myself went off to do the usual fire alarm call point checks in the Trackside and Bury Bolton Street concourse.
Everything worked satisfactory and we recorded the results in the log books. :D

I delivered eight newly refurbished carriage plug connectors to the carriage and wagon workshop.

Clive took the next train up to Ramsbottom Station to check on some steel fittings which we have used in the past to secure the canopy fluorescent light fittings, the measurements were noted and the fastenings will be purchased next week.
These fastenings will be used to erect the canopy light fittings under the new canopy on platform two at Bury Bolton Street Station.

We had received a report last week that a fluorescent unit had failed in The Bury Standard Four Group shop, so Jonathan, John and myself sourced a twin four foot replacement fitting from our spares stock and it was duly fitted and tested.

The glazing on platform two is nearing completion and now covers the entire frontage of the Trackside, only a small section of the canopy is left to be glazed.

The results of the winners of the Aviva community awards are announced on Monday, lets hope we win the £10,000 on offer.

The four steel lamp posts have now been painted and stored away safely by the civil engineering department ready for installation later this year, they will be erected past the end of the canopy, this will enable the total length of platform two to be illuminated when trains arrive.

We were then joined again by Clive who had returned from Ramsbottom with the information we required for the fixings.
It was then back to Bury Transport Museum in Castlecroft yard to carry on with the rewiring of the description lighting units.
John and Jonathan fitted the new locking nuts on seven lighting units, new wiring was fished up the metalwork and terminated into the lamp holders. A new earth point was connected and finally the new wiring was connected up to the electrical plug and sockets.
Clive and myself rewired the plug ends and fished up the new cabling to the light units, on order now are 3A fuses and 5 watt LED lamps, these will be fitted and then the units will all be PAT tested again.

Two more cables had to be cut to length and prepared after we discovered there was another two lighting units we had previously not seen. To complete the rewiring of the lighting units we have to saw off the top of the lighting post to gain access to the light fitting, then strip out the electrical light unit along with the wiring and earthing point.
The light unit is then refitted with a spring washer and nut before installing the new three core cable and relocating the earth point at the top of the lighting unit, the mains plug is then finally wired onto the new cable.

We went for some lunch back in our workshop after we had completed four of the units, we managed to complete another three units before it was back to our workshop for a final brew and to scoff the remainder of last weeks chocolate cake which John had purchased.

Back next week for some more electrical goings on. :roll:
Last edited by asbibby on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
asbibby

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-06-2015.

Post by asbibby »

The results of the winners of the Aviva community awards are announced on Monday, lets hope we win the £10,000 on offer.

P.S. I have just been on the Aviva web site and we have won £10,000 towards the cost of the glazing on platform two canopy. :D
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.