The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-9-2014.

asbibby

The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-9-2014.

Post by asbibby »

On Saturday Jonathan came into our workshop to prepare some of the light fitting covers that we will be installing on the canopy on platform two, new year.

Sunday saw a full compliment of volunteers, Jonathan, Myself, Clive, Len and John, Jonathan and Len went off to do the usual fire alarm call point checks in the Trackside and Bury Bolton Street Station concourse, everything worked satisfactorily and the findings were logged.

John, Len and Clive caught the first train up to Ramsbottom Station to meet up with a couple of other radio hams who had set up a transmitting station on the platform, hello is there anybody there, apparently contact was made with another Ham in Holland.

Jonathan and myself cut to length some carriage plug retaining chains for fitting on the carriages in the carriage & wagon shed and carriage siding two.
We then made our way back to Bury Bolton Street Station were we met up with Clive, John and Len and had our lunch on the train up to Heywood Station, observing on the way up to Heywood the staged television crash of a train just before the start of the Roch river viaduct.
The carriage we were in was the fresh out of the box RMB in maroon with the internal wooden fittings all highly varnished, new flooring and recovered seating, a fantastic refurbishment by the Carriage & Wagon staff.

On returning to Bury Bolton Street Station we decided to sort out three boxes of electrical fittings which have been donated to the railway, this job took us the rest of the afternoon. :roll:

Thomas next week, unfortunately i will have to give it a miss this year as we are visiting relatives, i think John will be giving some assistance?

On Sunday 12-10-2014 i will be missing again, it is our motor club's special stage rally at Three Sisters Race Circuit in Wigan, back the week after that for the Autumn Steam Gala.
Last edited by asbibby on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Phil B AKA Q1
Location: In a Signalbox, under a Land Rover or in front of a monitor.

Re: The Electrical Volunteers Report Sunday 28-9-2014.

Post by Phil B AKA Q1 »

asbibby wrote: John, Len and Clive caught the first train up to Ramsbottom Station to meet up with a couple of other radio hams who had set up a transmitting station on the platform, hello is there anybody there, apparently contact was made with another Ham in Holland.
Over the weekend the Amateur Radio Station on the Down Platform at Ramsbottom contacted nearly 250 other Hams, including many at other Heritage Railways and several radio stations set up to support/promote Air Ambulances in the UK. Contact was made with quite a few other European countries as well as Holland. A few more people are aware of the ELR now and one gentleman complained bitterly that he did not hear a single steam loco in the background! He was not impressed by the Diesels at all. All in all, a good weekend for a first attempt at running a Special Event Radio Station.
Phil,

ALWAYS look on the Bright Side & Keep Smiling!
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

The Viaduct is over the River Roch, not the Irwell.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
Wizzo

Post by Wizzo »

and is called not surprisingly Roch Viaduct.

By the way I was impressed with our diesels and the whole gala and I heard plenty of diesel horns !! The sight of an AC Electric on our Railway is not a first but certainly made for an unusual picture.

Bret
asbibby

Post by asbibby »

Union Pacific wrote:The Viaduct is over the River Roch, not the Irwell.
Thanks for the info. Geography was never my strong point!
Deep in the heart of Swinetown.
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

asbibby wrote:
Union Pacific wrote:The Viaduct is over the River Roch, not the Irwell.
Thanks for the info. Geography was never my strong point!

The Roch flows into the Irwell about 2 miles downstream.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
marflow

Post by marflow »

----or was it the River Marmite?

I'm collecting TIC-TAC containers for very small electronic components. About 50 needed. Anybody eat them or know someone who does? (contact us under the stairs platform 2 on Sundays)

It's been mentioned to me that it's about time the elec volunteers had their picture in the magazine. Ideas?

Clive
Deep in the very heart of Somewhere
martin_livingstone

Post by martin_livingstone »

Take a photo?
"Scattered showers my arse - Noah"