The Caledonian Tornado 21st September 2011

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Forgive me being a cynic I should have no reason to doubt the organisers but still think steam will come on at Preston, I hope I am proven wrong.
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

it'd be a pain to photgraph at piccadilly, I can't imagine them letting a bunch of photographers onto P13/14 in the rush hour, and it'll be coming through on the far side from all the other platforms

and they won't open up the barriers at oxford road
Scott Cooper

Post by Scott Cooper »

By a single Piccadilly to Oxford road then
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

jon m, as Scott quite rightly said buy the appropriate ticket to travel or alternatively at Oxford Rd purchase a platform ticket for the grand sum of ten pence.

Have not checked my shifts yet but may be at work at Oxford rd at the designated time and will look forward to seeing it there if it comes through, time will tell and lets wait until someone realises where its been pathed through and oops !
malc

Post by malc »

I would have thought there would be better places than Piccadilly station to photograph it e.g. as it crosses one of the roads between Picc and Oxford Road. There are lots of high buildings either side of the line - are any accessible to allow you to get level with or above the line?

Anyway, I suspect it's all hypothetical because I'll still be very surprised if it does run through Picc and Oxford Road.
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

malc wrote:I would have thought there would be better places than Piccadilly station to photograph it e.g. as it crosses one of the roads between Picc and Oxford Road. There are lots of high buildings either side of the line - are any accessible to allow you to get level with or above the line?

Anyway, I suspect it's all hypothetical because I'll still be very surprised if it does run through Picc and Oxford Road.

What about Cornbrook Metrolink stop? runs right next to that line surely.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

there is always the old spot in the multi storyy between pic and occy rd, lets wait and see what happens for now.

Post by 4472 »

Looking at the Cumbrian Mountain trips from Crewe via Manchester to Carlisle, I suspect that in reality it will follow the same route and that is via MANCHESTER VICTORIA and NOT Piccadilly.

Just a thought but talking to men who actually work on the railway in the Manchester area, they are of the same opinion as I am.

Tatie
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

timing wise they are planning for p'dilly

15 mins for stocky to p'dilly ... it'd take at more like 30 mins to get into victoria.

also looks like no water stops until Preston
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Still feel steam will come on at Preston, but hey stand to be wrong. !
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

2 problems with cornbrook ...

1) I was there today and everytime a train passed by, a tram arrived and blocked my view

2) the train is routed via Bolton, so would go via the windsor curves up towards Salford Cresent and not go near Cornbrook
prof?

Post by prof? »

Jon and others,

1) at Cornbrook the platforms are longer than the tram which normally stops at the far end of the platform in relation to its direction of travel, so you just need to go to the other end to be able to see. (at Cornbrook it's the left-hand end when facing the mainline(.

2) There may be some good opportunities for photos around Salford Crescent station and the road bridges at either end. Just be careful not to get mugged!

Sam.
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

no matter where you stand there, there is always a chance that a tram will be in your way just at the vital moment

given that there are now 4 metrolink lines going through cornbrook ... I don't fancy my chances of ever getting a vital shot there ...

then again, since the only places passenger trains can go down there is liverpool, and the liverpool steams use the chat moss line to water in Eccles, I doubt many steam trains will pass there. (untill the chat moss upgrades, but then I guess paths will be at a premium)

though, as a note, there is a path leading down to the canal just a bit further up towards trafford that has some good views over the line

Post by 4472 »

OK Gents I have tonight seen some timings - provisional - which will surprise you - certainly surprised me.....

Stockport Depart 7.30am Arrival time on the return 11.45pm

Manchester Piccadilly Depart 7.45am Arrival time on the return 11.30pm

It departs Crewe at 07.00am and is due back at 12.15am Thursday morning.

So as these are in print, one assumes that platform 14 at Piccadilly will see a steam hauled train for the first time???

As these timings are in black and white, one can assume that some of us were wrong in the start of this thread.

You of course may know differently!!!

Tatie
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Ah Tatie young padawan, the timings may be in but they do not guarantee they will be steam, what would be interesting to see is the times at preston and carnforth to see if there is a layover and also watering hole timings ?

There are many ecs and railtours that take the piccadilly oxford rd corridor with wcrc diesels, the lakelander being a prime example where steam comes on at Carnforth.

Anyway we will wait and see, but I still think it will not be steam, if it is I am at work at that time so will know when it happens, however the a1 will be stabled at crewe so there is a chance.