Thank You SELNEC

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
Shredder
Location: On Tour with the PW gang, coming to a venue near you soon.

Thank You SELNEC

Post by Shredder »

Had a lovely day out on the railway today, was stuck for somewhere cheap to take the girlfriend, the price of guitars these days and all that :wink: , so we opted for a busmans holiday (no pun), A lovely ride behind the 20, the 33 and our lovely Jinty, on leaving Ramsbottom station to return to the car, we noticed the open top bus parked up, since I`ve not been on one of these since 1954 when mum and dad took me to Scarborough, I really couldnt miss a trip and since the weather was glorious, we jumped on the bus, front seat upstairs, and FREE by the way, what lovely people those SELNEC enthusiasts are. It was great, it was like riding a motorbike with 30 guys sat behind you on the pillion. What a great job and what a fantastic exhibition of old buses. Well done SELNEC and thank you for a great trip, it really enhanced a day out on the ELR. And all for a couple of tenners, mind you it would have been a lot cheaper had the girlfirend not eaten as much :lol:
General Shred, US 101st Airborne, ageing rock guitar god, occasional permanent way ballast distrobution technician, and pandrol protection officer.
andyc

Post by andyc »

Suspect this is in the wrong section, but totally agree with the sentiments made by Shredder. The SELNEC guys were fantastic and brought a fantastic collection of buses to Bury yesterday and the free shuttle (which was originally planned to be free for anyone with a rail ticket, but I think they let anyone who wanted to go on it travel also) between Bury and Ramsbottom was popular, with most buses leaving very well loaded. We had a couple of issues with restricted parking at Bolton Street Station, but the vast majority of people were understanding and parking throughout Bury on a Sunday is not normally a massive problem.

All in all, I think it was a successful event and it brought many memories back for me and probably anyone else who grew up in the area and who was so used to seeing orange and white buses at one time - hard to believe there isn't an orange fleet of buses on the road around here these days as the First and Stagecoach colours have taken over.

Regards
Andy Coward
galeforce1

Post by galeforce1 »

I agree with all comments passed, a very good event and even the Sun shone for it too. Nice to see all the SELNEC buses alongside the steam locos, a heritage feast for all, and very eye catching for the rail passengers. Hopefully we might see a few more bus events at BBS in the future.

Wonder if any of the bus enthusiasts took the train up to Rawtenstall for a ride on the heritage tour bus there?
martin_livingstone

Post by martin_livingstone »

Aaah SELNEC - used to be 2p fare to anywhere :wink:
"Scattered showers my arse - Noah"
Simon

Post by Simon »

galeforce1 wrote:Wonder if any of the bus enthusiasts took the train up to Rawtenstall for a ride on the heritage tour bus there?
At least one did... :twisted:. Seen behind and fotting the Class 20... not his usual traction... :wink:. I can hear him now it was just a fill in move for the Shredder. Yer right...

On a more serious point there is a crossover between the two hobbies, having seen a number of people on Sunday who are / have been visitors to the line.