46115 Cotton Mill Express

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

No mate thats not whats throwing me, just the conflicting rumours that I have heard, like you say, if it came publicise it, BUT it may well be that Mr Smith at wcrc does not want it confirming. Its the customers again who I feel sorry for as its them that missed out again as it did not do its second run back via Rochdale.

For anyone interested got an email last night that says the Scot is now doing the first week of the scarborough spas as Network Rail will not confirm that 5972 is or is not out of gauge for the new route.
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

givent he amount of noise that the Scot was making leaving vic, thre was no way that could have been a stealthy anything.

Looks like the passengers were taken back via sprinters to wigan and from there, who knows
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Railway Herald, published online today states that the engine did come to Bury. Wonder where they got their info from, but wonder now why nothing official from ELR :?
andyc

Post by andyc »

Well this particular ELR person hasn't got a clue as haven't been in since Friday. If it came in for repairs, I'm not aware of it, but that isn't to say it didn't come to Bury. I'm sure someone can confirm and will do when they come onto this forum.

Regards
Andy Coward
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

The Cotton mill was due in Vic at 1444hrs and as was stated she was in trouble leaving Darwen. It is feasible that she was late due to this. I cannot see how the movement ex Bury could have been her in light of this. They told me they were waiting for a fitter to crawl underneath and were using water from the hydrant to cool off ashes as they had just used the rocking grate. It is possible that the LE out of Bury was to take a fitter from ELR to do the job and i must have just left when he arrived. They had just arranged a path back to Carnforth for about 1900 hrs.
phil ashworth

Post by phil ashworth »

I can confirm 6115 was not a the works this morning and there is no evidence that anything has been moved in the yard or the works from where i left it on Thursday. So i think it is just a roumer.
ELR Company Engineer and various other things.
Ian Riley
Site Admin

Post by Ian Riley »

:twisted:
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

1st time around, it may have been a min or two late into Vic, but overshot the platform and ended up parked under the footbridge. It only stayed for 2 mins or so, by the time I'd got a lift up to the arena car park, it was already a fair way up the bank

it arrived about 15-20 mins early at its 2nd time around in man vic ... I was leaving the cafe to get a good position for it approaching, but the train was already in the station.

it left about 30 mins after it should have, heading up the bank will all the coaches attached making one hell of a racket.

kind of worring that the major problem was with the middle cylinder - again. you'd think that they would have that bit working prefectly after last time.

One would hope that the overshoot in the morning was due to poor driving and wet rails rather than braking issues
malc

Post by malc »

46115 was due to leave Man Vic at 15.02, but "the_jon_m" says that she left about 30 minutes after that (which tallies with a couple of postings on National Preservation), so the entry in the Bury South signal box register at "circa 3.30pm" was almost certainly not the Scot. Also, how would a light engine at that time from Castleton have fitted in between the 15.20 from Heywood to Rawtenstall (which arrives Bury 15.33) and the 14.50 Rawtenstall to Heywood (which departs Bury 15.35)?
Union Pacific

Post by Union Pacific »

Did this loco come to Bury or not? somebody must know one way or the other.
Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Marmite on toast.
robert

Post by robert »

Spoke to Saturday's duty siggy,and it was indeed a Royal Scot, :shock:

but not that one. :cry: :cry:

It was a light movement of the Deltic RSG between 26D and Castlecroft, not Castleton.and return - presumably for Fuel.

So all those cursing cos you missed it...can sleep easier.

..ya..didn't! :roll: :wink:
We're so sorry Uncle Albert...but the kettle's on the boil...and we're so eeeeasily pulled away!
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

on the nat pres forum it is being said that the guardsman was repaired at Castleton
2J66

Post by 2J66 »

I reckon the decision to head to Castleton was a smart move in more ways than one. It allowed the platform at Manchester Victoria to be cleared, the loco to be turned & time & space off the network to effect a repair. I suppose Ian Riley wasn't that far away if they need to borrow tools or packing etc. If the repair had failed there was also the opportunity to stable the train on the ELR. Have a look at http://andrewstransport.fotopic.net/p66002499.html
The photo & caption suggests the repair was effective.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Once & for all:- :roll:

Guardsman was sent to Castleton loop to be fixed & a spare sent for from Carnforth. Ran ECS back to Carnforth no probs apparently!! Official statement from James Shuttleworth as follows…

The problem was, indeed, a broken piston rod packing, which was replaced at Castleton; the return ecs run took place without further incident.

The performance of the loco was not significantly affected by this problem (despite 'authoritative' claims to the contrary, on this and other forums); our concern was the effect that the escaping steam was having on the lubrication and could have had a serious detrimental effect, had we decided to press on, hence the termination at Man Vic.

Frustrating, given the excellent performances down south, last week. Such is life with steam locos.