46115 Cotton Mill Express

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
the_jon_m

46115 Cotton Mill Express

Post by the_jon_m »

on its second pass through man vic today, The Scots Guardsman failed. Everybody was taken off the train and it then headed off up the bank making a lot of loud and strange noises. Was it heading towards the East Lancs?
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Just had a phone call to tell me it did go to elr, suppose someone better add it to the list if gen correct
the_jon_m

Post by the_jon_m »

any idea what was wrong? the strange loud noise was rythmic and people were mentioning that centre cylinder again.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Spoke to support crew at Castleton about 5pm. Believe packing blown out of gland on inside cylinder. Asked if they were going to Rileys for attention but they said they hoped to limp home after some running repairs. They were making use of a water supply in the nearby street.
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Now been told engine did go to elr.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

That is possible if they could not fix it at Castleton, maybe me asking about repairs at Rileys gave them an idea as they did not seem to have even considered it the way they were talking at 5pm. I left soon after so your info could be correct.
simon_roberts

Post by simon_roberts »

Hopefully she'll be fixed soon and doing what she does best!

Didn't sound too good at Darwen this afternoon. I've uploaded two shots from Copy Pit and Darwen to my website.

Video Available Here
Bolton Loco

Cotton MillExpress

Post by Bolton Loco »

It doesn't sound too bad in the first clip but definitely an odd sound in the second clip, five beats and a wheeze.
what do they use for piston gland packing these days, the same cast iron packings as in BR days or some modern type stuff?
Syd
phil ashworth

Post by phil ashworth »

47324 has LG4 and cast iron piston packings, made to the same design as the old LMS / BR ones. The 4F had the half moon style with the spring round and we replaced the cast iron ones with LG4 as they seemed to last longer. I am not sure what WCRC will use in their loco's.
ELR Company Engineer and various other things.
Jeff Albiston

Post by Jeff Albiston »

46115 seems to be having an rotten year. Last year I believe it was the most reliable of the mainline steam fleet.
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Been told now by someone else it did not got to elr, can somebody confirm please yes or no !!
Bolton Loco

Post by Bolton Loco »

phil ashworth wrote:47324 has LG4 and cast iron piston packings, made to the same design as the old LMS / BR ones. The 4F had the half moon style with the spring round and we replaced the cast iron ones with LG4 as they seemed to last longer. I am not sure what WCRC will use in their loco's.
Thanks for the information Phil.
The BR cast iron packings were a bit larger than the LMS ones and the locking springs were a bit bigger and stronger, I have used BR springs on both types of packing.
Syd.
robert

Post by robert »

sng60007 wrote:Been told now by someone else it did not got to elr, can somebody confirm please yes or no !!
Nige.

There were entries in the Bury South Signal Box train register of a light engine move Castleton Jctn to Bury Loco circa 3.30pm (Sat) and out again to Network Rail circa 5pm same day. 8) No loco number recorded in the register tho :cry:
We're so sorry Uncle Albert...but the kettle's on the boil...and we're so eeeeasily pulled away!
sng60007

Post by sng60007 »

Thanks Robet, looks like it did then, absolutely pig sick was at work, oh well perhaps it will come again :D

Obviously the powers that be do not want it in a public forum and I will let the matter rest now until an official announcement is made of either denial or confirmation.
robert

Post by robert »

Obviously the powers that be do not want it in a public forum and I will let the matter rest now until an official announcement is made of either denial or confirmation
A stealth Scot eh!. :shock: ..not easy to hide and not sure why any attempt might be made to do so..if anything, given the loco had a problem mainline, a sorte onto the ELR to remedy can only have been a positive.

If it's the missing loco number in the Train Register that's concerning you, it's a red herring. It's not a requirement to do so, some siggy's do (I'm one, old habits) some don't - so I can't confirm if it was 46115 - but something moved and nothing else was formally booked on/off the network at that time Sat. :roll:
We're so sorry Uncle Albert...but the kettle's on the boil...and we're so eeeeasily pulled away!