Changes

Details of ELR related charters, tours etc. using both steam and diesel loco's. Also incorporating update snippets on Ian Riley's work in progress.
Eagle1711

Post by Eagle1711 »

shouldnt it just be for ANY mainline workings??

just a thought :)
Dan Jones

Member of Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
http://www.ramsbottommrc.org.uk

Bring back ALT for admin!!
Titch

Post by Titch »

We are only bothered about ELR workings, surely.
David Peacock

Post by David Peacock »

On the basis that there are several ELR based locomotives which are also mainline registered it makes sense to have a section for their mainline activities. Not sure if its relevant to discuss mainline activities of non ELR based loco's though.
Actively involved with diesel preservation for a while but cannot see the point of listing things here to make myself look 'important'
MarkMc
Site Admin

Post by MarkMc »

David Peacock wrote:Not sure if its relevant to discuss mainline activities of non ELR based loco's though.
The aim there was to allow for discussion of tours from the ELR etc
Mark McEwan
BBS Platform Staff and Guard

http://markmcewan.fotopic.net
David Peacock

Post by David Peacock »

MarkMc wrote:
David Peacock wrote:Not sure if its relevant to discuss mainline activities of non ELR based loco's though.
Hoping to have more to discuss in the future, the CFPS are looking into options for running another tour off the ELR in 2010.
Actively involved with diesel preservation for a while but cannot see the point of listing things here to make myself look 'important'
Dave M
Site Admin

Post by Dave M »

Eagle1711 wrote:shouldnt it just be for ANY mainline workings??

The forum is for general ELR natter as a whole, if you want to wibble on about 66s working freightliners, theres thousands of other places to do it
Dave Martin
David Peacock

Post by David Peacock »

40445 wrote:
Eagle1711 wrote:shouldnt it just be for ANY mainline workings??

The forum is for general ELR natter as a whole, if you want to wibble on about 66s working freightliners, theres thousands of other places to do it
Quite a lot of discussions regarding non ELR based engines, as you say plenty of places to discuss such things and if you look at the thread titles in this section the majority do not feature ELR based loco's.

The ELR based mainline certified loco's are very much roving ambassadors for the railway, especially 40145.
JonnyGT

Post by JonnyGT »

David Peacock wrote:
MarkMc wrote:
Hoping to have more to discuss in the future, the CFPS are looking into options for running another tour off the ELR in 2010.
I think potentially we might be running more tours out of ELR in the coming year(s). :)
ELR Member
Part of the Deltic 55022 Group - "Deltic Tinkerer"
http://www.royalscotsgrey.com/
stuart9941

Post by stuart9941 »

MarkMc wrote:
Great Idea, but when was the last mainline tour TO or FROM the ELR?? Last ones I remember were from rawtenstall to blackpool about 4 years back, although I think there might have been one or two since then.

Why don't they happen anymore? Charges to operators/Track access fees? Lack of interest?
David Peacock

Post by David Peacock »

stuart9941 wrote:
MarkMc wrote:
Great Idea, but when was the last mainline tour TO or FROM the ELR?? Last ones I remember were from rawtenstall to blackpool about 4 years back, although I think there might have been one or two since then.

Why don't they happen anymore? Charges to operators/Track access fees? Lack of interest?
5th Jan 2009 Rawtenstall to Edinburgh

13th June 2009 Rawtenstall to Aberystwyth

Both tours used 40145 as the main traction and were run by the CFPS.

Hear what you say about the lack of tours on / off the railway and partially agree with you but the CFPS have run these tours and are planning to run more.

I do think the railway should be encouraging operators to run tours onto the railway but I also know that most tour promotors have a perception that this is in the 'too difficult' box for some at the railway. I find this such a shame and must say that I do have considerable knolwedge of the situation as I work full time in the train charter business.
stuart9941

Post by stuart9941 »

I don't believe I ever questioned your knowledge or whether you know what your talking about m8.

Could you explain the statement - "I also know that most tour promotors have a perception that this is in the 'too difficult' box for some at the railway." as I don't quite get it - who thinks its too difficult? Tour promoters or the ELR?

As a side, while I know the line, I am not 100% on signalling etc, so excuse my ignorance... Prior to the original Metrolink contract starting, Signalling on the Heywood branch was upgraded yes? Does this make it any easier for passenger charters to traverse the line? I know it don't make access any easier as hopwood GF and the triangle at castleton is still as it was but prior to the upgrade I do remember being stood for at least an hour at what I am told is "broadfield up outer home" signal - you know the one just before the bridge next to the row of cottages? Is this problem now a thing of the past?

IF the change in signalling has made things easier and reduced the possibility of delays has anyone actually told the tour promoters?

Every december Lincoln is swamped with Xmas market trains from far and wide. Bury market is consistantly voted as one of the best, whats to stop the ELR making next December the year of the Bury Xmas Market trains?

Post by 40071 »

Titch wrote:We are only bothered about ELR workings, surely.
A very narrow view that, surely we are interested in all main line steam workings.